Nothing spells delish better than these air fryer bbq Chicken wings! Since wings are the perfect food for an appetizer, snack, or even the main course of a meal, this is one air fryer wings recipe you’ll want to save.
Now that you know that you can make chicken wings so easily in your air fryer your family will be asking to have them all of the time, and why not? They are a great anytime snack! No special occasion or big game is needed!
Table of Contents
- 1 Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings
- 2 Join our air fryer recipe group on Facebook
- 3 Why cook chicken wings in the air fryer?
- 4 Best air fryer for wings
- 5 What you’ll need
- 6 How to make bbq chicken wings in air fryer
- 7 Variations for air fryer BBQ chicken wings
- 8 What are the best sides for chicken wings
- 9 Make ahead, storing and reheating
- 10 Tips for the best air fryer bbq chicken wings
- 11 Common questions about air fryer chicken wings
- 12 More air fryer chicken wing recipes you’ll love.
- 13 Air fryer bbq chicken wings
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings
This recipe for air fryer BBQ chicken wings is easy to make with just a few ingredients, and since you are making them in the air fryer there is no mess to clean-up from making crispy deep fried wing on the stove top.
And with the air fryer, there’s no need to worry about messy stove tops or safety from a splatter of oil. These chicken wings can be served as part of an assortment of appetizers for a party or as the main dish for a meal.
If air fryer BBQ chicken wings are what is for dinner you can pair them with a salad, french fries, or your favorite pasta dish like macaroni and cheese. Don’t forget the celery and carrot sticks to go with these yummy Gourmia air fryer wings!
Why cook chicken wings in the air fryer?
- Easy air fryer BBQ chicken wings are easy to make, come out crispy and delicious every time, and there is no greasy mess from frying them in the stove top.
- Time saving: these bbq chicken wings are way faster than when made in the oven. Oven baked chicken wings can take up to an hour to cook, while making chicken wings in the air fryer only takes a few minutes, and there is no greasy mess involved.
- Healthier: Cooking chicken wings in the air fryer is not only fast and easy, but healthier than deep frying them.
- Easy clean up: Less mess is made in the air fryer. Deep frying in the stove top can leave a mess to clean.
- Flavorful: These are finger licking good and a crowd pleaser. Who doesn’t love sticky barbecue wings?
Best air fryer for wings
Though this is a Gourmia air fryer chicken wings recipe. I have made chicken wings in my Cosori and Instant pot air fryers and they turned out equally delicious and perfectly cooked.
Whichever air fryer you have including the Ninja foodi and Power XL would be great for wings, all you need to do is keep an eye when making it for the first time in your air fryer as air fryers tends to cook differently by brand.
What you’ll need
- Chicken wings
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Baking powder
- Sugar free barbecue sauce.
- Scallions for garnish
Based on Dietary needs: This recipe is naturally low carb and keto friendly. If you are not trying to cut down on sugar you can use regular honey bbq sauce or mix 1 Tablespoon of honey with a quarter cup of original bbq sauce to make some homemade honey bbq sauce.
How to make bbq chicken wings in air fryer
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Scroll down to end of post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
Pat chicken dry. Add oil and seasoning blend to the wings then toss to combine.
Place wings in the air fryer basket or rack. Air fry at 400°F / 200°C for 15 to 18 mins or until internal temperature reaches 165°F / 74°C.
Transfer cooked wings into a bowl, add bbq sauce and honey mix and toss till well coated. You can serve immediately if you really like it saucy.
You can also put it back in the air fryer for another minute for a sticky wings effect.
Can you cook frozen bbq chicken wings in air fryer?
Just you can make these from fresh, you can definitely make frozen barbecue wings in your air fryer. Here’s how to do it straight from frozen, no need to thaw.
Place frozen bbq chicken wings in air fryer basket and cook at 400°F / 200°C for 20 to 25 mins if they are raw and 10 to 15 mins if they are precooked.
Variations for air fryer BBQ chicken wings
BBQ air fryer chicken wings are delicious, but maybe you are in the mood for something a little different.
- Make it Spicy: Simply make a mixture of your favorite hot sauce and butter on the stove and toss your wings in the sauce once they are cooked.
- Use a different sauce: You have a wide range of sauces to choose from besides bbq sauce. Honey soy, homey Sriracha, or Teriyaki.
- Use Lemon pepper wings: Sprinkle your wings with a little lemon pepper seasoning before you put them in the air fryer for a mixture of citrus and pepper flavor. You’ll love these lemon pepper marinated chicken thighs in air fryer.
- Plain naked wings: Sometimes chicken wings are just perfect on their own without any additional spices or seasoning. The choice is up to you!
What are the best sides for chicken wings
Chicken wings can be enjoyed on it own or served with a variety of sides like the following
- Air fryer Frozen French fries
- Steak fries in air fryer
- Air fryer cheese burgers
- Frozen burritos in air fryer
- Air fryer butternut squash fries
- Frozen sweet potato fries in air fryer
- Air fryer copycat Panda Express fried rice
- Home fries in air fryer
Make ahead, storing and reheating
Can you make these air fryer BBQ wings ahead of time? You sure can though it’s best made fresh and eaten right out of the air fryer. Air fried wings can be made up to 3 days ahead of time. It’s best stored without the sauce.
Let air fried wings cool completely before storing in an air tight container. Reheat wings in air fryer on the day it is to be served before tossing in the sauce.
Tips for the best air fryer bbq chicken wings
- Pat your chicken wings dry with a paper towel before placing them in your air fryer. This helps to ensure crispy chicken wings, and that your spices and seasonings will stick to the meat.
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer. Air fryers work by circulating hot air so if you put too much food in them at once the food will not come out evenly cooked. Leave a small amount of space in between your wings so that the air can circulate properly and give you the crispy air fried wings you are looking for.
- Use Parchment paper for easy clean up. Yes you can put parchment paper in the air fryer read this post answering the question can you put parchment paper in air fryer for details.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro Tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Common questions about air fryer chicken wings
Can you use frozen wings?
Yes, if you forgot to thaw your chicken wings ahead of time or just have a sudden urge for a chicken wing snack you can make frozen wings in air air fryer. It will only take a bit longer than fresh so adjust accordingly.
Do I need to flip my air fryer chicken wings?
If you want the skin on your chicken wings to be crispy like deep-fried wings are you will need to flip your wings during the cooking time to ensure it gets crispy on all sides. You will need to flip the wings at least once halfway through cooking, you can skid flip more frequently like every 5 mins. Though some people do that, I don’t really see the need.
What if I have leftover air fryer bbq chicken wings?
If you have leftover air fryer bbq chicken wings they can be stored in an airtight container or bag in the refrigerator for three to five days. You can also freeze the leftover wings in a freezer safe bag for up to three months. Reheat the wings in the microwave on 30 second intervals or for two to three minutes in the air fryer.
You could make these ahead of time, however, chicken wings are almost always at their very best fresh out of the air fryer.
If you try this recipe, show it off on Instagram! Be sure to Follow and Tag @Airfryeryumblog on Instagram and use the hashtag #airfryeryumblog so we can see your recreations!
Cooking BBQ chicken wings in the air fryer is healthier than deep frying them, and it’s less messy too. You will be pleasantly surprised at how crispy and juicy air fryer wings turn out, and how easy they are to make. Surprise your friends and family with some tasty BBQ air fried chicken wings today!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it! Then follow Air Fryer Yum on Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air fryer bbq chicken wings
- Gourmia Air fryer
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons Scallions for garnish
- ½ cup bbq sauce (I used sugar free honey bbq sauce)
Season the wings
- Cut wings into sections (drumettes, wingettes and tips) if you didn’t buy the already sectioned ones. Discard the tips.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towel. Drizzle oil on the wings, add salt, black pepper and garlic and baking powder. Toss to combine.
- Transfer seasoned wings into air fryer basket. Set temperature to 400°F / 20°C and air fryer for 15 to 20 mins. Remember to shake basket or flip wings half way through cooking time. The internal temperature should be at least 165°F / 74°C to be considered fully cooked and safe to eat.
Sauce it up
- Transfer cooked wings into a clean bowl, add the bbq sauce to wings and toss to till all are well coated in the sauce. Serve immediately if you love saucy wings.
- If you prefer dryer sticky wings, put the wings back in the air fryer at 400°F / 200°C for a minute or two then serve. Keep an eye on it so the bbq glaze doesn’t burn.
Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment below.