Ham and cheese Ritz cracker sandwiches make for a simple yet scrumptious finger food or party appetizer that both kids and adults go crazy for.
The salty crackers pair perfectly with the savory ham and gooey cheese giving a nice blend of textures and flavors in each bite.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it to your inbox right away! Plus you’ll get amazing recipes & tips from us every week. Enjoy!
Table of Contents
Air fryer Ham and cheese Ritz cracker sandwiches
There are a few tricks to truly take these Ritz sandwich appetizers over the top. Similar to these air fryer ham and cheese sliders, when assembling, use quality deli ham for the best flavor and texture. I like to use precut small square cheese similar to Cracker Barrel cracker cheese cuts.
I love that the air fryer or oven can work for this recipe. Both methods yield crispy, melted sandwiches in minutes. However, the air fryer takes less time.
You can get creative with different cheese and ham combinations as well as mix-in ingredients to keep your friends & family coming back for more.
Why this recipe is so good
- They come together in just minutes using easy-to-find ingredients like ham, cheese and Ritz crackers. Keep the ingredients on hand for last minute get-togethers.
- Loaded with flavor from salty and savory deli meats and cheeses, they satisfy snack cravings in the most delicious way.
- The crispy, buttery crackers and melted cheese make for an irresistible contrast of textures.
- So customizable! Switch up the cheeses, meats and add-in mix-ins to create own signature versions.
- Ritz cracker
For Ritz topping
Brushing the top of the sandwiches with this mix is optional you can actually air fry these without the topping.
- Butter (melted)
- Poppy seeds
- Dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder
How to make ritz cracker sandwiches
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Scroll down to the end of this post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
The best part is that these Ritz crackers appetizers can be made either in the oven or air fryer with equally delicious results.
In the air fryer
Stack the ham slices, cut into 4 then separate and fold each individual pieces.
Mix the topping ingredients till well combined, set aside then cut the ham into smaller pieces.
Assemble the sandwiches by placing a piece of ham on one ritz, top that with the cheese, before covering with another cracker. Repeat process for all the crackers.
Transfer sandwiches to the air fryer, my Cosori dual blaze can fit 16.
Brush the top with the butter sauce. Air fry at 400°F for 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese melts. Keep an eye on them to prevent burning.
In the oven
For the standard oven method, preheat to 400°F, prepare the sandwiches and bake on a sheet pan for 5-7 minutes. Broil for the last 1-2 minutes for extra crispy crackers.
There are also endless variations to play with using ingredients like turkey, salami, bacon, jalapeños, tomatoes or spicy mustard to change up the flavors.
Serve these party pleasers alongside soup or salad for a quick lunch or munch on them as a game day snack.
Air frying Tips
- No preheat needed
- Use good quality ingredients like deli ham and shredded cheese for maximum flavor.
- Assemble the sandwiches with the cheese on top to ensure the cheese melts quickly.
- Air fry or bake in batches to prevent overcrowding and uneven cooking.
- Feel free to experiment with meats, cheeses and mix-in ingredients to make them your own!
- You can use low sodium ritz to keep the salt low.
Here you’ll find answers to common questions about this recipe. If your question isn’t answered, please leave us a comment below and we’ll gladly answer them.
I used Swiss cheese, however you can use your favorite cheese such as Cheddar, Colby-Jack, Gruyère or provolone.
No they don’t need to be buttered first but you will brush the top with a butter ‘sauce’ just before air frying.
Approximately 10-13 minutes total time (7 to 10 mins prep time and 3 mins air frying time). This will depend on how many batches you are making.
No, It’s best to serve these immediately. The crackers will get soft within 30 mins from moisture from the cheese and meat.
If you try this recipe, show it off on Instagram! Be sure to Follow and Tag @Airfryeryumblog on Instagram and use the hashtag #airfryeryumblog so we can see your recreations!
In just minutes, you can have the perfect party appetizers, after-school snacks or game day finger foods ready to be served. With endless combinations for flavors and creativity, ham and cheese Ritz cracker sandwiches will fast become favorites for everyone.
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it! Then follow Air Fryer Yum on Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro Tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Air fryer ham and cheese ritz cracker sandwiches
- Cosori Dual blaze
- Perforated Parchment paper
- Silicon brush
- 32 ritz crackers
- 16 Slices Small Swiss cheese squares
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 slices deli ham
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cut each ham slice into 4 pieces.
- Assemble the sandwiches - place 16 Ritz cracker on a flat surface, top each with 1 piece of ham, (folded) followed by one cheese square. Place another Ritz cracker on top to make a sandwich.
- Repeat step 3 with remaining ingredients until you have 16 sandwiches.
- In a small bowl, combine the poppy seeds, garlic powder, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well combined.
Air fryer method
- Place sandwiches into the air fryer basket in a single layer (you may need to cook in batches)
- Brush the top of each sandwich lightly with the topping mixture
- Air fry at 400°F for 2-3 minutes until cheese melts.
- Watch closely to prevent burning.
- Remove from air fryer and serve immediately. Sprinkle lightly with extra poppy seed mixture, if desired.
- preheat to 400°F, prepare the sandwiches and bake on a parchment paper lined sheet pan for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and crackers are golden brown.
Did you make this air fryer recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment below. If you loved it please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group.