Loaded fries are some of our favorite game day appetizers. Making it in the air fryer is game changer for me and it’s also easy to make. Get ready for a gooey cheesy app the whole fam will love.
This air fryer loaded fries recipe is one way air fryer bacon bits come in handy! If you’d love some more cheesy appetizers try our air fryer jalapeno poppers, air fryer bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers or TGIF’s frozen jalapeno poppers in the air fryer next.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it to your inbox right away! Plus you’ll get amazing recipes & tips from us every week. Enjoy!
Table of Contents
Easy air fryer loaded fries
Are you looking for a quick and delicious snack or appetizer for any occasion, look no further than this Air Fryer Loaded Fries. A delightful treat that combines the crispy goodness of fries with a medley of flavorful toppings, creating a cheesy snack that's impossible to resist.
Why this recipe is so good
- Crispy Perfection: get crispy fries without the excess oil, thanks to the magic of air frying.
- Versatile: Customize your loaded fries with an array of toppings cheese, bacon, green onions, and more!
- Quick and easy: Ready in a fraction of the time it takes to oven-bake, making it an ideal choice for a quick and satisfying snack.
- Better-for-you option: Enjoy the guilty pleasure of loaded fries with less guilt. The air fryer cuts down on unnecessary fats.
How to make loaded fries in the air fryer
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Scroll down to the end of this post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
Place a square foil in the air fryer basket. Add the frozen fries to the basket then air fry at 400°F (200°C) for 15 mins, add more time as needed and don’t differ to shake the basket at 5 min intervals to ensure the fries cook evenly.
When the fries are all crispy, top the fries with the shredded cheese and bacon crumbles then return basket to the air fryer. Air fry at 400°F (200°C) for 1 to 2 minutes or until the cheese is all melted.
Top with scallions, jalapeno slices and sour cream. Enjoy
What to serve with it + best toppings
You really can't go wrong topping these hearty fries! Use your favorite ingredients or combinations for delicious loaded fry creations. Pair these delectable loaded fries with your favorite dipping sauces or enjoy them as a side to burgers, sandwiches, or even on their own for a satisfying snack. Here are some options.
- Cheese: (cheddar, Monterey Jack, queso, etc.) - melted cheese is classic for loaded fries.
- Chili: beef or veggie chili makes a hearty topping.
- Chives or green onions.
- Diced tomatoes or salsa.
- Jalapeños or banana peppers for spice.
- Shredded chicken or pulled pork.
- Caramelized onions
Air frying Tips
- No need to preheat the air fryer.
- Ensure an even layer of fries in the air fryer for consistent crispiness.
- Shake the basket at 5 mins intervals to ensure the fries cook evenly.
- Experiment with Toppings: Don't shy away from experimenting with various toppings to find your perfect combination.
Here you’ll find answers to common questions about this recipe. If your question isn’t answered, please leave us a comment below and we’ll gladly answer them.
Loaded fries are fries topped with various ingredients like cheese, bacon, chili, ranch dressing, etc. to make them more flavorful, decadent, and filling. They are an indulgent twist on regular french fries.
Some popular loaded fries toppings include;
• Cheddar cheese, bacon, and sour creamChili, cheese, onions, and jalapeños.
• Barbecue pulled pork and coleslawShredded cheese, crumbled bacon, and ranch dressing.
• Nacho cheese sauce, guacamole, salsa, and pickled jalapeños.
Yes you can put foil in that air fryer. However, it needs to be weighted down with food. NEVER preheat an air fryer with foil in it. It will fly around and get stuck in the element which can cause a fire.
Thick-cut steak fries, crinkle-cut fries, and waffle fries work best as they have more surface area for toppings to adhere to. Shoestring and thinner fast food-style fries can get soggy faster under heavy toppings.
Loaded fries are best consumed quickly after preparing while still hot and crispy. Use a fork to stab toppings and fries together to get the perfect bite of all flavors and textures in one go. Eat them first before they get too soggy from melty cheese or wet sauces.
If you try this recipe, show it off on Instagram! Be sure to Follow and Tag @Airfryeryumblog on Instagram and use the hashtag #airfryeryumblog so we can see your recreations!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it! Then follow Air Fryer Yum on Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro Tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Air Fryer loaded fries
- Cosori air fryer 5.8 qt
- 1 lb frozen Steak fries
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup bacon bits
- ¼ cup green onions
- 1 jalapeno
- ¼ cup sour cream (for serving)
If cooking potatoes from scratch
- 3-4 Russet potatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
For Frozen steak fries
- Line air fryer basket with foil. Place fries in Air fryer basket
- Set temperature to 400°F / 200°C and timer to Air fry for 15 to 18 mins. Shake basket to flip potatoes every 5 mins to ensure even cooking.
- When the potatoes are all crispy, top the potatoes with shredded cheese and bacon bits.
- Put the air fryer basket back into the air fryer. Continue cooking at 400°F (200°C) for 1 to 2 mins or until the cheese melts.
- Top with green onions and sliced jalapenos and serve with sour cream.
Making the potatoes from scratch
- Wash peel and cut potatoes. Transfer to a bowl of water add salt and let it soak for 30 mins to remove some starch. This will help with getting it crispy.
- After 30 mins, rinse and drain potatoes, pat dry with paper towel.
- Toss in olive oil and air fry at 400°F / 200°C for 25 to 28 mins. Remember to shake basket half way through cooking time.
- Air fryers vary in heat level be sure to check your fries often if you are your gadget for the first time.
- Do not overcrowd the basket
- The cooking time will depend the size and thickness of the steak fries. It will also depend on the quantity of fries in that basket.
- From scratch fries take longer to cook.
Did you make this air fryer recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment below. If you loved it please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in your favorite Facebook group.