Can you fry plantains in air fryer appliances? Yes you can. Air fryer plantains are easy to make and healthier than deep fried. These air fryer sweet plantains serve as a delightfully tasty appetizer or snack that doubles as a side dish to many Afro-Caribbean recipes.
This recipe is perfect for a gluten free and Whole Foods diet.
Table of Contents
- 1 Easy Air fryer plantains recipe
- 2 Join our Air fryer Recipe group on Facebook!
- 3 Why you’ll love this
- 4 Best plantain for air frying
- 5 What is the best temperature for air fryer plantains? How long to cook.
- 6 Ingredients
- 7 How to make Air fryer Plantains
- 8 Making plantain boats
- 9 How to peel plantains
- 10 How to store
- 11 Reheating
- 12 Air frying Tips
- 13 FAQs
- 14 More Easy air fryer recipes
- 15 Air fryer plantains
Easy Air fryer plantains recipe
Plantains green or yellow are well sought after fruit for its health benefits. It’s a complex carbohydrate that’s rich in iron and vitamins.
Yellow plantain are even more sought after because it’s ripe and sweet. However the fact that it’s usually deep fried these sweet plantains (Manduros) are sometimes classified as not so healthy.
The air fryer helps you cut down on the use of oil so you can enjoy this delicious sweet and salty side dish.
Join our Air fryer Recipe group on Facebook!
Why you’ll love this
Easy: This an easier more hands free way to cook plantains. No need to stand over a pan of hot oil or by a deep fryer.
Delicious: Air fried plantains are tasty too
Healthy and Family friendly
Faster than the oven
Related recipes: Air fryer sweet potato fries, Frozen sweet plantains in air fryer, Air fryer Potato recipes
Best plantain for air frying
All types of plantains are great for air frying. It all on the end result you intend to achieve. For instance the green plantains (unripe) and greenish yellow (semi ripe) are very good for plantain chips.
On the other hand, the yellow ones that are ripe and firm are best for air fryer sweet plantains and baked whole sweet plantains.
What is the best temperature for air fryer plantains? How long to cook.
I prefer to cook my plantains at 350°F / 180°C for 15 mins. I find that cooking at a high temperature like 400°F / 200° C doesn’t work well for me. The plantains get tough.
- Ripe plantains
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
How to make Air fryer Plantains
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Scroll down to end of post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
Wash and dry plantains, peel plantain see section below on how to peel plantain. Cut into desired shape. I like to cut plantains diagonally.
Transfer cut plantains into a bowl, add oil, salt, and pepper (if using) toss to combine. Arrange plantains in the air fryer basket or rack and air fry at 350°F / 180°F 15 mins flipping half way through cooking time. If at 15 mins it’s not browned to your liking, air fry for another 2 minutes.
Making plantain boats
You can also make plantain boats in the air fryer and it’s easy too. Simply peel plantains and leave them whole. Make a small slit at the side of the plantains. it’s shouldn’t be a tip to tip slit.
Alt fry at 380°F for 10-12 mins. Cook for a couple more minutes if not cooked to your liking. Fill you plantain boats with your fav filling.
How to peel plantains
Follow these easy steps to learn how to peel plantains.
- Wash plantain clean and pat dry
- Cut off the two ends of the plantain
- Then make a slit on the plantain length wise from tip to tip.
- Pull the skin backwards from the slit till you you get the plantain out then cut diagonally or into cubes
How to store
Leftovers can be stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. You can reheat in the microwave or air fryer when ready to eat.
Freezing: Fried plantains freeze well. Make sure they cool down before freezing. To freeze properly, place cool plantains in a single layer on a baking sheet for up to an hour. Then transfer frozen plantains into a ziplock bag and freeze for up to one mouth.
To reheat, pour frozen plantains (do not thaw) into the air fryer and reheat at 350° / 180°C for 5 to 6 mins or until warmed through.
Air frying Tips
- A little oil is needed to help brown the the plantains. You can make air fryer plantains without oil but the texture would be different.
- Do not overcrowd the basket. Place the plantains in a single layer.
Why are my Air fried plantains hard?
Fried plantains can be hard when the plantains are not ripe. Green plantains are hard when fried and yellow plantains are sweet and soft. However the temp and time can also make the plantain tough. If cooked at a high temperature for too long it gets hard.
Do green plantains turn yellow?
Green plantains will eventually turn yellow as it ripens.
What is the best way to cook plantains?
This is dependent on what you are cooking. Air fryer plantains are great alternatives to deep frying.
More Easy air fryer recipes
- Air fryer sliced potatoes
- Diced hash browns in air fryer
- Air fryer beef suya
Check out all our >>>Air fryer Recipes!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Did you make this abc recipe? Awesome! Please use the Star Rating ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment, it helps readers out! Also be sure to tag & follow @AirFryerYumBlog on Instagram. We’d love to see your recreations of our recipes!
Air fryer plantains
- Air fryer
- 2 Medium yellow plantains
- 2 teaspoons oil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Air fryer method
- Wash and dry plantains, cut off the two ends of the plantains. Make a skin deep slit on one side of the plantains, running from one end of the plantain to the other end.
- Peel the skin out, then cut into desired shape. I like to cut plantains diagonally.
- Transfer cut plantains into a bowl, add oil, salt, and pepper (if using) toss to combine. Arrange plantains in the air fryer basket or rack and air fry at 350°F / 180°F 15 mins flipping half way through cooking time. If at 15 mins it’s not browned to your liking, air fry for another 2 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite side dish or sauce.
- Do not overcrowd the basket.
- Though air fried plantains can be made without oil, it turns out better when you add a bit of oil to it.
The plantains in the pics are not ripe. They are semi-ripe, aka pinton plantains.