Can you cook frozen sweet plantains in air fryer? Oh yes! These Air fryer frozen plantains are the fast and easy hack to enjoying your Puerto Rican Sweet plantains aka Maduros stress and mess free.
Just in case you are wondering if this is even possible, check out the frozen aisle section of your favorite grocery store and you are likely to find the Goya brand. Be sure to pick out the frozen tostones as well, you’ll love it! Now let me show you how to cook frozen plantains in less than 10 mins.
Table of Contents
- 1 What are sweet plantains?
- 2 Join our Air fryer Recipe Group on Facebook!
- 3 Why this recipe works
- 4 Frozen sweet plantains brands
- 5 Ingredients
- 6 How to cook frozen sweet plantains in air fryer.
- 7 What to eat with plantains
- 8 Can dogs eat plantains
- 9 Storing and reheating
- 10 Air frying tips
- 11 Frequently asked questions
- 12 More Frozen foods to make in the air fryer
- 13 Air fry Frozen sweet plantains
What are sweet plantains?
Sweet plantains simply means ripe or yellow plantains. They are similar to bananas but have a different taste from bananas. Though cooking green bananas exist, bananas are are more commonly eaten raw when they are ripe.
On the contrary though sweet plantains can be eaten raw, plantains are hardly eaten raw. They are usually boiled or fried. Green plantains are not sweet they are bland tasting and are used for different dishes from yellow plantains.
Why this recipe works
First and foremost, this guide will show you how to cook frozen plantains in air fryer appliances. I think that’s pretty cool. Here are a few other reasons this recipe works and why we love it.
- Quick and easy:
- Family friendly
- Picky eater approved
- Fits most diets including vegan, vegetarian and Gluten free diets.
Related: Best frozen foods for air fryer
Frozen sweet plantains brands
- La fe
- Your favorite frozen plantain brand
- That side dish you love to enjoy with plantains.
How to cook frozen sweet plantains in air fryer.
Easy peasy. Remove sweet plantains from packaging. You would find that it’s sealed in a microwaveable paper plate covered with plastic wrap.
Cut open the plastic wrap, remove the frozen sliced plantains from the paper plate and place them in the air fryer basket.
Set temperature to 350°F / 180°C and cook for 6 to 7 minutes. You can flip it over in the last minute of cooking. I personally don’t do that because it warms through without flipping.
Making it in Oven
Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C / Gas mark 4. Remove plastic wrap. Bake in a parchment paper line baking sheet for 7 to 10 mins or until plantains are golden.
Remove plastic wrap and transfer to a microwave safe plate. Microwave on high at 1 minute intervals for 3 to 3 ½ minutes or until warmed through.
What to eat with plantains
Plantains are very tasty as a side dish. Like potatoes, they can be enjoyed on it own or with a variety of dips and sides. Below are some of the ones we enjoy.
- Roast Potatoes
- Air fryer Parmentier potatoes
- Guacamole (as a dip)
- Scrambled eggs
Can dogs eat plantains
Plantains are budget friendly and can be enjoyed by all family members including your fur babies. So if you ever wondered if your dog can eat plantains, the short answer would be yes however they can’t eat it raw or fried.
According to this article, dogs should be given boiled or steamed plantains in small portions and not too often.
Storing and reheating
Unlike my air fryer plantain recipe made from fresh plantains, frozen sweet plantains are already cooked. They have been fried and flash frozen before packaging and distribution. I don’t recommend reheating these after the first time. It’s best to reheat the amount needed at a time so you don’t have leftovers.
If you find that you do have leftovers, you can store in an air tight container in the refrigerator and consume within 24 hours.
Air frying tips
- Cook from frozen, no need to thaw.
- You don’t need to spray oil on the frozen plantains prior to air frying because they were deep fried before freezing.
- No need to preheat the air fryer. If your air fryer comes with automatic reheat, you can put the frozen plantains in there, it will start cooking while the air fryer preheats.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket or tray, cook in batches if needed.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Frequently asked questions
Can you put frozen plantains in an air fryer?
Yes you can put frozen plantains in an air fryer and it cooks it to perfection.
How do you fry plantains in an air fryer?
Plantains are not actually fried when put in an air fryer, they are baked like when cooked in the oven.
Can you fry frozen plantains on the stove top?
Yes you can, simply empty the frozen plantains into a greased frying pan and cook on medium low heat for 4 to 5 mins flipping half way.
If you try this recipe, show it off on Instagram! Be sure to Follow and Tag @Airfryeryumblog on Instagram and use the hashtag #airfryeryumblog when you share so we can see your recreations!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it! Then follow Air Fryer Yum on Pinterest for more air fryer frozen food recipes!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Did you make try this air fryer frozen plantains? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in the recipe card or when you leave a comment below. If you loved it please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in you favorite Facebook group.
Air fry Frozen sweet plantains
- Air fryer
- 11 oz Goya Frozen plantains
- ¼ Cup guacamole
Air fryer method
- Remove plastic wrap. Place frozen plantains in a single layer in air fryer basket or rack.
- Set Temperature to 350°F / 180°C and cook for 6 to 7 mins. You can flip half way through if making more that 1 pack at a time (11 oz is one pack)
- Serve with your favorite side dish or sauce. (See blog post for list of suggestions)
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C / Gas mark 4. Remove plastic wrap and bake in baking sheet for 7 to 10 mins.
- Serve and enjoy
- Remove plastic wrap, transfer to a microwave safe plate and microwave on high at 1 min intervals for 3 to 3 ½ mins or until warmed through. Let it stand for a minute before serving.