Air fryer Tater tots or rounds are the best. If you haven’t tried this easy potato side dish in your air fryer then you are in for a pleasant surprise at how good these are. Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. No need to thaw before cooking. Simply cook from frozen and in less than 15 mins it’s done. It’s Perfect in your Cosori air fryer or instant pot vortex rotisserie basket.
Table of Contents
- 1 What are Tater tots?
- 2 Join our Air fryer Recipe group on Facebook!
- 3 Shop the Cosori Air fryer Today and use code AFY15 for 15% off!
- 4 Why you’ll love tater tots in air fryer appliances
- 5 What you’ll need
- 6 How long to air fry frozen tater tots. (Tater rounds or puffs)
- 7 How to make air fryer Tater tots
- 8 Best dipping sauce for air fried Tater tots
- 9 How to store
- 10 Air frying tips
- 11 FAQs
- 12 More easy air fryer recipes to try
- 13 Air fryer Tater tots
What are Tater tots?
Tater tots are cylindrical potato bites. They are made from grated parboiled potatoes that are then mixed with flour and spices before forming them into a cylindrical shape and deep frying. These potato bites are a common side in burger joints
Tater tots are known by a variety of names in different countries. In the UK, it’s called Potato Croquettes, in Australia they are known as potato gems, potato royals or potato Pom-poms. It is important to note that the Name Tater tots is a brand name for this potato side dish and that brand name is owned by Ore ida.
- Ore ida
- Trader potato tots
- Aldi’s Potato puffs
- Whole Foods Tater puffs
- Tasti Taters (a Canadian brand)
- Kroger’s Tater bites or rounds
Why you’ll love tater tots in air fryer appliances
- Beginner friendly: An easy recipe anyi easy can make. If you are intimidated by your air fryer,
- Versatile: Taters can be enjoyed as is, seasoned up with garlic powder etc or made into a Tater casserole.
- Time saver: This is a quick and easy recipe.
What you’ll need
- Your favorite brand of Taters. I’ve used Ore ida, McCains and Aldi’s Tater pufffs
- Dipping sauce
How long to air fry frozen tater tots. (Tater rounds or puffs)
Any where from 12 to 15 mins is perfect for making air fryer Tater tots from frozen. The closer the time is to 15 mins, the crispier the tater puffs would be. Be sure to keep an eye on them after 12 mins.
The length of time it takes to cook Tater tots also depends on if the air fryer is preheated and how crispy you like yours. It would cook faster in a preheated air fryer than in a non preheated air fryer. If you preheat your air fryer start checking at 10 mins. When it’s fully cooked, it’s ok to add extra 1 or 2 minutes to get it extra crispy.
How to make air fryer Tater tots
Place tater tots in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Set temperature to 400°F / 200°C and air fryer for 12 to 15 min shaking the basket at 5 minute intervals to ensure even cooking.
The length of time will depend on how crispy you like the tots. Add one or two extra minutes if you want it more crispy.
How to cook mini tater tots in air fryer
Place Mini Tater tots in the air fryer basket. Set temperature to 400°F / 200°C and cook for 6 to 8 minutes in a preheated air fryer. If the air fryer wasn’t preheated, you will cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Remember to shake the basket half way through cooking time.
Best dipping sauce for air fried Tater tots
These can be served on its own, as a snack or appetizer. You can serve this with a variety of dipping sauces. Some of our favorites are listed below.
- Barbecue sauce
- Fry sauce
- Cheese sauce
How to store
If made from scratch, tater tots can be stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to 2 days. If using frozen tater tots I recommend you cook the quantity you can finish up at a time. Recall frozen tater tots have been precooked so reheating over and over isn’t recommended would make it lose taste and texture.
Reheating tater tots (rounds or puffs)
Tater tots can be reheated in the air fryer, microwave or oven. To reheat in the air fryer, place in the air fryer basket and set temp to 350°F / 180°C and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
To reheat in the microwave, line microwave safe plate with paper towel, place Taters on the paper towel and microwave on high at 30 secs intervals till warmed through.
For the oven method, preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C / Gas mark 6. Place tots on an unlined baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 mins or until warmed through.
Air frying tips
- Cook straight from frozen, no need to thaw.
- Oil spray isn’t necessary
- Do not overcrowd the basket: The secret to crispy air fried tater tots is in proper heat and air circulation which will be impeded if the basket is overcrowded. Therefore cook in batches if needed
- Shake the basket at 5 minutes intervals to ensure even cooking.
- Some brands of air fryers tend to be hotter than others. This is the case for the Ninja air fryer. Therefore your tater tots may cook faster so keep an eye on them if making it for the first time.
How long to cook Tater tots in the air fryer at 400 degrees Fahrenheit?
If cooking at 400°F / 200°C in a preheated air fryer, these should be all crispy in 12 mins. If cooking in a non preheated air fryer, they will get ready in 14 to 15 mins
What is the English Version of Tater tots?
In the UK, these are called Potato Croquettes
Can you buy tater tots in Australia?
Yes you can, but you should be looking for Potato Gems, Potato Royal or Potato Pom-poms not Tater tots in the frozen food. Those are the names they go by in Australia.
Are Tater tots vegan?
Most tater tots are just potatoes, flour and spices molded and fried in vegetable oil. The aforementioned ingredients are all vegan friendly. However, you need to check the list of ingredients in the brand you buy to confirm.
More easy air fryer recipes to try
- Air fryer fish and chips
- Frozen French fries in air fryer
- Air fryer Brussels sprouts with bacon
- How to make Air fryer Pigs in a blanket.
- Air fryer bacon wrapped pineapple bites.
Check out all our >>>Air fryer Recipes!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air fryer Tater tots
- Air fryer
- 1 lb frozen tater tots
- ¼ cup Ketchup
- Place frozen tater tots in a single layer in the air fryer basket.
- Set temperature to 400°F / 200°C and air fryer for 12 to 15 min shaking the basket at 5 minute intervals to ensure even cooking.
- When the air frying cycle is complete, you can add more time if you want it more crispy. A minute or two is fine
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Place in a single layer.
- Do not overcrowd the basket.
- Shake basket at 5 minutes intervals to ensure even cooking