Air fryer fish and chips dinner is a quick and easy recipe that you can whip up in your air fryer in less than 20 mins. Whether you are making the fish from scratch or cooking from frozen, this air fryer fish and chips recipes is a winner in my book.
Table of Contents
Air fryer fish and chips recipe
You’ll love how quick and easy this Air fryer fish dinner is. Sometimes we’ve got just a little time to put a meal together. I know there are days like that. This air fried fish and chips makes it it a breeze with dinner being served in less that 30 mins.
With this recipe, there’s no need to make the fish or chips from scratch except you absolutely want to. I will also share how to make it from scratch.
Why you’ll love this
Easy: This a beginner friendly recipe anyone can make. If you are new to air frying and feel overwhelmed or intimidated by your new kitchen gadget, pop this into the air fryer and the result will leave you feeling like a pro and ready to take on the next air fryer recipe.
Time saver: This recipe gets ready in less than 30 mins.
Family friendly: Kids and adults love this recipe. It’s a recipe that’s sure to please everyone.
Tasty: If you are looking for something delicious that’s better than take out, look no further than this air fryer fish and chips.
What type of fish can I use?
You can use your favorite fish fillets. I’ve used tilapia and cod fillets for this recipe. You can also use salmon fillets if you prefer.
- Frozen fish fillets
- Frozen French fries
- Favorite dipping sauce
From scratch ingredients:
- Fish fillet
- Garlic powder
- Frozen fish fillets can be substituted with frozen fish sticks or beer battered fish.
- Frozen French fries can be substituted with crinkle cut fries, steak fries or sweet potato fries
How to make fish and chips in the air fryer
This is an overview of the recipe. Scroll down to end of post for a printable recipe card with full recipe and instructions.
Making it with frozen ingredients
Place the frozen fish in the air fryer basket, set the temp to 400°F / 200°C and air fry for 5 mins then add the frozen fries into the basket and continue to air fry for 15 more minutes. Remember to flip the fish half way through and shake the basket to help the fries cook evenly.
Making it from scratch
Create your dredging station. Three Bowls will suffice. One for egg, one for flour and the other for breadcrumbs.
Pat the fish fillets dry with paper towel. Dredge the fillets in flour mix.
Leftovers can be stored in an air tight container for up to 2 days in the refrigerator. I don’t recommend freezing leftovers.
To reheat air fryer fish and chips. Place the meal in the air fryer basket and set temperature to 400°F / 200°C and air fryer for 5 to 6 mins or until heated through. Remember to shake the basket half way through and to flip the fish as well.
Best dipping sauce
The best dipping sauce for fish and chips is what you favorite sauce is. We like to use Tartar sauce and ketchup or barbecue sauce for the fries.
- Frozen fish may take up to 5 mins longer to cook than frozen French fries. If you intend to cook them together, then you will need to add the fries when the fish has cooked for 5 mins.
- Do not overcrowd the basket. Cook in batches if needed.
- Shake the basket to flip the fries but use a pair of tongs to flip the fish. If you are worried the fish would break apart as you shake the fries, take it out and place on a place while you shake the basket. Return it to the basket with the right side facing up.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you reheat fried fish and chips?
Reheating fried fish and chips is easy. If reheating both from frozen you can start with the fish because it would need an longer time to warm through. Next add in the fries 5 mins into the cook time and continue till all warmed through.
Can you eat leftover fried fish?
Yes you can eat leftover gigs that has been stored properly and then reheated properly.
Check out all our >>>Air fryer Recipes!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air fryer fish and chips
- Air fryer
- Mixing bowls
- Parchment paper
- Baking sheet
Making it from frozen
- 1 lb frozen breaded fish
- 1 lb frozen French fries
If Making it from scratch
- 1 lb fish fillets (cut into 2 ½ inch strips)
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt (divided)
- 2 -3 russet potatoes (peeled, washed and cut into fries)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup Tartar sauce
- ¼ cup Ketchup
- ¼ cup Barbecue sauce
- To cook at the same time, Place ½ lb of fish in air fryer, set temperature and cook for 5 mins then add ½ lb frozen fries and air fryer for another 15 mins. Remember to flip the fish and shake the basket so the fries will cook evenly. Repeat process for the next batch.
- To cook separately, cook a pound of fish at 400°F / 200°C for 18 to 20 mins flipping half way through. Then cook the pound of French fries at 400°F / 200°C for 12 to 15 mins.
- Serve with your favorite dip
Making it from scratch
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to a bowl of water Soak fresh fries in the bowl of salted water for 30 mins
- While the fries are soaking, Set up your dredging station with 3 bowls.
- In one bowl, mix ½ teaspoon of salt and the rest of the seasoning with the flour, add the beaten egg in the second bowl and the breadcrumbs in the third.
- Pat the fish fillets dry with paper towel lightly season with salt and pepper. Then dredge the fish in the seasoned flour, then in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs. Gently press the breadcrumbs on it so it sticks and coats evenly. Place breaded fish in a parchment paper lined baking sheet to rest. Repeat till all fish have been coated.
- Spray the fish with oil on both sides and place in the air fryer to cook at 400°F / 200°C for 12 to 14 mins or till cooked through with an internal temperature of 145°F / 63°C. Remember to half way through.
- While the fish is cooking, drain the soaked fries. Pat dry with paper towel. No need to add salt. The fries already absorbed some while it soaked.
- Toss fries in oil. Transfer the amount of fries that fit into air fryer basket and air fry at 400°F / 200°C for 20 to 22 mins shaking the basket halfway through.
- Serve with fish, Tatar sauce and ketchup