Here’s an easy Chinese chicken on a stick recipe that’s perfect for entertaining. These Chinese chicken skewers are quick, and packed full of Asian flavors. The air fryer cooks meats to perfection you will love how these turn out in just 15 mins. Let me show you exactly how to make these mouth watering air fryer appetizers in easy steps.
Air fryer Chinese Chicken on a stick
This is an easy chicken appetizer that’s sure to please. With a few simple ingredients you are well on your way to making a delicious side dish or appetizer that’s sure to impress.
I’m yet to come across anyone that has passed on seconds and even thirds whenever I take these to a gathering. It’s always a hit!
Why you’ll love this Chinese chicken skewers recipe.
- Family friendly
- Delicious crowd pleaser
Related: Air fryer Greek chicken souvlaki
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Sesame oil
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Oyster sauce
- chilli sauce or sriracha sauce
- Gluten free soy sauce
- Sesame seeds
- Spring onions
- Chicken: I used boneless chicken breasts for this recipe, feel free to swap it out with boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Oil: Use any cooking you like to use.
- Oyster sauce: You can substitute this with hoisin sauce
- Soy sauce: If not gluten free you can use regular soy sauce. You can also use Worcestershire sauce as a substitute to soy sauce.
How to make air fryer Chinese chicken on a stick
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Scroll down to end of post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
Cut chicken into 1 inch bite sizes. Add the other ingredients to the chicken and toss to combine till all chicken pieces are well coated. Let it marinade in the sauce for 15 mins
Tread the chicken on prepared wooden skewers. Place the chicken on a stick pieces in the air fryer basket. Set temperature to 400F / 200C and cook for 7 mins. Open the air fryer brush with more oyster sauce flip an continue cooking for another 7 mins, brush on more sauce and cook for another minute.
What to serve with Chinese chicken on a stick
- Fried rice
How to store
Store leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Reheat in the microwave or air fryer till warmed through.
Air frying Tips
- Cut the skewers to size by placing it over and measuring the length. You may or not soak in water.
- Try to cut chicken into equal sizes so that they cook evenly.
- Brushing the chicken intermittently adds more Flavor
- Flip chicken half way through to even cooking
Frequently asked questions
Can these be made without skewers?
Yes you can! However they won’t be called Chinese chicken on a stick or Chinese chicken skewers anymore as those sticks define them. They would be called chicken bites instead.
What is Chinese oyster sauce?
Oyster sauce is a sweet and salty Asian condiments made from oyster juices, salt and sugar. It is used in marinades and sauces.
More skewered meat recipes
Check out all our >>>Air fryer Recipes!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro Tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Chinese chicken on a stick (Chinese Skewers recipe)
- Air fryer
- Bamboo skewers
- Perforated Parchment paper
- 1.3 lbs boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoon Oyster sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Chilli sauce or sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons spring onions
- Cut chicken into bite sized cubes about 2 inches
- Mix oil oyster sauce and chili sauce, divide mixture into two and set one part aside for brushing the meat while it cooks
- Add the oil, half of the oyster sauce mix, soy sauce, garlic powder black pepper to the chicken, mix till chicken is well coated.
- Thread coated chicken through skewers
- Place in a parchment lined air Fryer basket or tray and air fry at 400°F / 200°C for 7 mins.
- After 7 mins pull out basket / tray and brush some sauce some sauce in the chicken before flipping them over. Then continue cooking for another 7 mins then brush the last sauce on chicken then cook for another min let it rest for a minute before serving. The internal temperature of the chicken should 165°F / 74°C to be considered fully cooked and safe to eat.
- Serve as is or with your favorite side dishes
Nutritional information is an estimate and may change based on products used. Please read full nutrition disclaimer here.
Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment below. Also be sure to Follow & Tag @AirFryerYumBlog on Instagram when you make any of our recipes. We are honored and would love to see your recreations of our recipes!