Air fryer cheeseburger or cheese burger is a perfect lunch made with burger buns, cheese and hamburger patties which can be made from fresh or frozen in the air fryer. It’s an easy takeout food you can easily make at home in a breeze with an air fryer.
Hamburgers in Air fryer
My kids love Macdonald’s Cheeseburgers and hamburgers. If your kids do as well, you’ve got to try making these burgers at home in the air fryer.
The air fryer does a good job at making the patties needed for to build your burger whether you are making fresh hamburgers from scratch or you are using frozen burger patties, the air fryer is your friend.
Cheeseburger VS Hamburger
My son pointed out the difference to me cos I didn’t understand why one child would request for a burger and the other would say mom I want a cheeseburger please!
I would roll my eyes and say aren’t they the same? My kid said! Mom a cheese burger has cheese on it, hamburgers don’t! Hmmm.. light bulb moment and google confirmed it so there you have it.
What you need to make Cheeseburgers in Air fryer
You need a few ingredients to make cheeseburgers in your air fryer.
- For Hamburger patties frozen or fresh
- Burger buns
- Burger Filling
- American cheese slices
- Lettuce, onions, tomatoes
- Sauce of choice like
- Yum yum sauce
- Fry sauce
- Ketchup etc
- Air fryer
- Meat thermometer
How do you make Air fryer Cheeseburgers
- Chose the burger you will use. From fresh or frozen. If making from scratch, mix all ingredients together form a patty by hand or with a burger press. Make an indentation in the middle and air fry at 350°F / 176°C for 12-14 mins or until internal temperature gets to 165°F / 74°C. If using frozen patties see cook for same times as stated above. You can check out this post of Air fryer frozen burgers for helpful tips.
- When the burger is fully cooked. Place the American cheese slices on top of each burger and slide basket right back into the Air Fryer. There’s no need to turn the air fryer back on because the residual heat is hot enough to melt the cheese. That’s it your air fryer Cheeseburger is ready!
- Build the burger: Apply chosen sauce to one side of the burger bun. Place lettuce, hamburger with melted cheese on top, add the onion and tomato slices then dig in!
Best Sauces for Burgers
There are a variety of sauces that work great on burgers and fries! Some of them also work great for Salads. I have listed my favorites below and I will be sharing some of the recipes in the condiments and sauces section of the blog.
- Fry sauce also called Utah sauce. Traditionally made from an equal amount of mayonnaise and ketchup. However this recipe has been modified in many ways with some swapping out the ketchup for BBQ sauce and others including Worcestershire sauce, mustard and relish. Whichever way you choose this sauce is amazing on this Air fryer Cheeseburger recipe.
- Yum Yum sauce: Similar to yum yum sauce, but have a few more ingredients added to it like
- Comeback sauce: A combination of mayonnaise and chili sauce
Good sides for Air fryer Cheeseburgers (Burgers)
- Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- Waffle cut fries
- Sweet Potato fries
- Beet salad with citrus dressing
- Air fryer Potato wedges
- Blueberry Watermelon salad.
- It’s best to use a meat thermometer when checking for doneness of the burger. If you don’t have one the next best thing is to cut the burger into two across the middle. Be sure it’s no longer oozing an not pink anymore. It’s better it’s overcooked than undercooked and not healthy.
- No need to turn on the air fryer again when you put the cheese slices on the burger. The residual heat will melt the cheese.
More Air fryer Recipes
- Mozzarella sticks: These frozen cheese stick are so good.
- Air Fryer Chin Chin: One of Africa’s most popular snack just got a healthy crunch!
- Chicken Recipes: These are amazing sides to enjoy with any meal.
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful>>> Air fryer Resources!
Air Fryer Cheeseburger
- Air fryer
- Meat thermometer
- 4 Fresh Hamburger patties
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 Slices American cheese
- 4 burger buns
- 4 Rings from freshly cut onions
- 4 slices of Roma tomatoes
- 2 leaves Romaine lettuce (cut into halves)
Cook the burger patties
- Mix the salt, black pepper and garlic powder together
- Sprinkle some on one side of the burger patties
- Place the burger patties in the air fryer basket seasoned side down.
- Sprinkle the rest of the seasoning on the other side.
- Set the temperature to 350°F / 176°C and air fryer for 12-15 mins or until internal temperature reaches 165°F / 74°C
Make it a cheeseburger
- When the burgers are fully cooked, place the American cheese slices on top of each burger patty and slide basket right back into the air fryer and let the residual heat melt the cheese.
Build the burgers
- Spread some Burger sauce or Ketchup on the one side of the burger bun
- Place lettuce next, then the cheeseburger, next the onion and tomato slices. Add more sauce if you like before covering with the other half of the bun.
- Serve with your favorite side like Air fryer French fries.