Air fried Peanut butter and jelly sandwich is a perfect air fryer breakfast sandwich! Making toast in the Air fryer is becoming one of our favorite ways to enjoy some toasted bread or breakfast sandwich. This Air fried pb&j is definitely worth the calories and I will be sharing some healthy options and peanut butter alternatives.
Table of Contents
- 1 Grilled aka Fried Peanut butter and jelly sandwich recipe.
- 2 Why grill a sandwich in the air fryer?
- 3 Join our air fryer recipe group on Facebook!
- 4 What you need to make it
- 5 How to make Air fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- 6 Variations:
- 7 Peanut butter alternatives
- 8 Tips
- 9 Other Air fryer Sandwiches
- 10 Air fried Peanut Butter and jelly sandwich
Grilled aka Fried Peanut butter and jelly sandwich recipe.
Take your pb&j sandwich recipe up a notch by making this grilled / fried Peanut butter and jelly sandwich recipe right in your air fryer and believe me when I say you are never going back to making it on the stove top
Why grill a sandwich in the air fryer?
There are a few reasons to toast your bread or grill it in the air fryer besides the fact that it works.
- It’s so much easier and less hands on than making it on the stove.
- My kids love making this recipe on their own and it’s possible because the air fryer is safer for them to use and requires little or no supervision.
- I can still get a nice toasted crust thank to butter.
What you need to make it
Ingredients and Tools
- Bread: Any bread of choice would work perfectly
- Peanut butter: Smooth or crunchy! You decide.
- Jelly: What’s your favorite jelly? Use it. I used a sugar free strawberry jelly for ours.
- Butter: Want that crunchy crust? Butter is your plug! And if you are vegan, any vegan butter should work.
- Air fryer
- Kitchen tongs
You’ve got everything ready and want to make your fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich and you are wondering how to toast a sandwich in an air fryer. The following steps should help.
How to make Air fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich
First you need to gather your ingredients. Spread some peanut butter on one side of a slice of bread, spread jelly on one side of the other slice. Cover the bread to make a closed sandwich. Next spread some butter on the outside of the sandwich.
Place sandwich buttered side down in the air fryer basket, spread some more butter on the top unbuttered surface. Then air fry.
Making it healthier
You can definitely adjust your ingredients to make a healthier version of this recipe. The next few lines would talk about ingredient swap.
- The bread: Use a low carb bread to keep the carb count low.
- Jelly: Make your own Jam or use a sugar free Jelly to cut down on sugar.
- The Peanut butter: I like to use natural peanut butter for my recipes since it contains no added sugars. And if you are allergic to nuts, I have a few peanut butter alternatives listed above in the post. You can check it out.
Do I need to preheat the air fryer.
Most of my recipes don’t requires preheating especially since air fryers heat up pretty fast. Sometimes I do so when I am making air fryer steak or popcorn.
However after the first batch of cooking, you will need to adjust cooking time downwards cos your next batch will cook faster being that the air fryer got preheated while cooking the first batch.
It will surprise you to see a number of variations of this sandwich.
PB& Banana Sandwich
This one is my friend’s favorite! She raved about it so much on Instagram I had to give it a go and it didn’t disappoint! You need to try it too. It’s a grilled PB sandwich filled with slices banana maybe we should call it a PB&B sandwich.
Strawberry Banana Sandwich
Yes this a PB&J sandwich with slices of banana. You can substitute the strawberry jelly with fresh strawberries if you like. It tastes so so good!
One more which I haven’t tried just yet is the PBJ and pineapple sandwich! Another friend mentioned she loved this in our Facebook group I believe.
Peanut butter alternatives
- Sunflower butter: This is made from sunflower seeds
- Soy butter
- Almond butter: This is a great peanut butter alternative if you are not allergic to almonds.
- Peabutter: This is another peanut alternative that’s made from brown peas. Not sure it’s in the US. However I saw some in Canada for my Canadian Air fryer buddies to try
- Room temperature jelly can make it easier to spread on the bread.
- Depending on individual needs or lifestyle, substitute bread for gluten free vegan or low carb bread of choice.
- If you are concerned the bread might fry around in the air fryer while toasting, you can use a toothpick to hold the sandwiches down or use the air fryer rack.
Other Air fryer Sandwiches
- Air fryer Bacon grilled cheese
- Pb and Banana Sandwich
- Air fryer Sardine Sandwich
More Breakfast Recipes
- Air fryer baked Oats recipe
- French toast in the air fryer
- Air fryer Tater tots
- Crispy bacon in the air fryer
- Air fryer breakfast diced potatoes
Check out all our >>>Air fryer Recipes!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Love it? Pin it!
Air fried Peanut Butter and jelly sandwich
- 4 slices Bread
- 2 Tablespoons Butter (softened)
- 2 Tablespoons Grape or Strawberry Jelly
- 2 Tablespoons Peanut butter or peanut butter alternative.
- Spread some peanut butter on one side of a slice of bread, spread jelly on one side of another slice.
- Cover the bread to make a closed sandwich.
- Next spread some butter on the outside of the sandwich.
- Then place the sandwich buttered side down in the air fryer basket, spread some more butter on the unbuttered side.
- Air fry at 400° F / 204°C for 4 mins then flip over with a kitchen tong and air fryer for another 2-3 mins till golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy.