Air fryer French toast is another delightful breakfast win. If you haven’t tried making French toast from fresh or frozen right in your air fryer you are in for a pleasant surprise and I am more than happy to show you exactly how to do it. Get ready to enjoy one of our favorite air fryer breakfast recipes served with maple syrup and fresh strawberries with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Can you make French toast in an Air fryer?
Oh yes you can and it’s so good! If you are wondering why you should, as always I am happy to help you out with a few reasons to make one of America’s favorite breakfast in your new kitchen gadget aka air fryer.
- It’s very easy to make and gets ready in less than 15 mins
- You are going to love the almost handsfree and mess free method employed in this recipe.
- Kids can make this with minimal supervision which may not be possible on the stove top.
Fun facts : Did you know that French toast is is also called eggy bread or Gypsy Toast.
What you need!
With any recipe, you would need ingredients and tools.
- Nice and thick bread slices
- Heavy cream
- Cinnamon powder
- Air fryer
- Kitchen tongs
- Parchment paper
Can you put parchment paper in the
Yes you can. However there are ways to do it right. Make sure the parchment paper is weighted down with some food to prevent it from flying around and getting stuck in the element of the air fryer. You can read this detailed post on how to put parchment paper in the air fryer safely.
How to make Air fryer French toast.
Making French toast in the air fryer is easier than you think. Let’s get started by gathering the ingredients.
Next mix all ingredients except the bread in a shallow bowl. Then dip bread in the egg mixture don’t soak.
Flip and dip the other side. Air fry flipping half way through.
Temperature and Cook Time
Air fryers differ in size, wattage and how they cook. Before using your air fryer, I would suggest you read your manual first.
When you are ready to use it for any recipe, you can check the recipe as many times as you like to determine how your air fryer cooks each recipe. However an exception would be for cake recipes.
I recommend 370°F / 188°C for 8 mins
How to serve + Toppings variations
French toast or sticks are served with a variety of topping with the most common being maple or pancake syrup and some fruits. Below are a list of topping we love her at air fryer yum
- Maple syrup or pancake syrup
- Fruits: Strawberries, black berries, blueberries and bananas.
- Powdered sugar
- Melted chocolate.
Frequently asked Questions
What type of bread is best for French toast?
Brioche breads are best for French toast. Preferably a day or two old. Any bread with thick slices should work.
How long do you toast bread for French toast?
It takes about 8 mins to get a nice French toast in the air fryer.
What is the difference between eggy bread and French toast?
There is no difference, they are one and the same. FYI it’s also called gypsy toast.
Make ahead and how to store
You can make these ahead and freeze. Leftovers can be left in the refrigerator up to 2 days and frozen for up to 2 weeks.
Reheat from frozen in the air fryer at 350°F / 175°C for 2 to 3 mins or till warmed through.
Tips for success
- Different brands of Air fryers cook differently. Therefore time and sometimes temp may very from one brand to another. That’s why you might find a time range for some recipes here at air fryer yum. Therefore don’t be afraid to check on your food while it cooks to determine the perfect timing for your brand of air fryer.
- I would suggest you use parchment paper when making air fryer French toast and sticks from scratch. I find that even with liberal spraying of the air fryer basket, these tend to stick.
- Do not soak the bread in the egg mixture.
More Air fryer breakfast
- Air fryer banana muffins
- Eggs and bacon toast in the air fryer
- Air fryer bacon grilled cheese
- Frozen pancakes in the air fryer
- Head over here for all our >>> Air fryer breakfast recipes.
Check out all our >>>Air fryer Recipes!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the Air fryer world ? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Love it? Pin it!
Air fryer French toast
- Air fryer
- 4 Large eggs
- ¼ cup Heavy cream (or milk of choice)
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon butter (melted)
- Pinch of salt
- 8 to 10 slices of bread. (See note 2)
- 4 Tablespoons butter (for serving)
- ½ cup Maple syrup
- Powdered sugar
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, cinnamon pinch of salt and vanilla extract till well combined.
- Dip each bread in the egg mixture but do not soak. Flip to dip the other side
- Spray air fryer basket with oil spray then place eggy bread in air fryer and fry at 370°F / 188°C for 8 mins flipping half way through.
Depending on the sizes of the bread, the egg mixture can be used for 8-10 slices of bread.
Nutrition info is for 8 slices of bread.
Nutritional information is an estimate and may change based on products used. Please read full nutrition disclaimer here.