Crispy home fries in the air fryer are so good you probably not make them any other way after today. My Air fryer home fries is made with a combination of well seasoned cubed potatoes, peppers, onions and butter to give one of the best air fried potatoes you’ll try.
These easy American fries recipe makes a great one pot meal that’s perfect for the whole family for a nice Sunday morning breakfast! It would also work for a great mid week dinner and trust me it’ll be on repeat! Home fries are a great side dish to steak, chicken, fish and lots more.
Home fries? Air fryer? Oh yeah!
You must be wondering home fries? Air fryer? Is it possible? Slow down friends, the air fryer makes some of the best potato recipes and these dinner style home fries are so good.
Though home fries are traditionally made in a skillet on the stovetop, this homemade air fryer version is sure to please.
Why you’ll love this recipe
How does an easy and restaurant style recipe sound to you? This air fryer home fries is that and more! Here why we think you’d love this recipe
- Family friendly
- Gluten free
- Wholesome ingredients
Home fries (American Fries) VS French fries
You’ve heard American potatoes, Home fries, American fries, French fries and you’re wondering what’s the difference are they all fries? They are indeed all fries but with the major difference being the way they are seasoned and the way they are cut.
American Potatoes, Home fries and American fries seem to be referring to the same thing. Potatoes that have cut or diced into cubes then seasoned and pan fried with the addition of onions and peppers.
French fries are cut Julienne style and seasoned with only salt and deep fried. Those were the differences I gathered.
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Potatoes: I used Russet potatoes. You can use any potatoes you like, however bear in mind that some potatoes may take longer to cook. Red potatoes tend to take longer in the air fryer
- Potato seasoning: use any seasoning blend you love to use in your potatoes. You can use Cajun or creole seasoning to add a southern flair to this dish. If you love Suya spice, this would work as well.
- Butter: Use only oil or vegan butter to keep these home fries vegan or plant based.
How to make home fries in air fryer appliances.
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Scroll down to end of post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
Season the Potatoes by tossing in oil and seasoning mix, reserve a bit of the seasoning for the onions and peppers. Air fry at 400°F / 200°C for 15 mins.
In the mean time season the onions and peppers then add it to the air fried potatoes when they are done. Cook for another 5 mins till onions and peppers soften.
Making it with leftover potatoes
Did you know you can also make home fries with leftover potatoes? Here’s how to do it. Season the onions and bell peppers with oil and seasoning of choice.
Combine with leftover potatoes. Transfer to air fryer basket and air fry at 380°F / 180°C for 5 mins or till potatoes are warmed through and onions and peppers softened.
How to make it with frozen roast potatoes
Got frozen roast potatoes? No problem. Cook the frozen potatoes first at 400°F / 200°C for 12 to 15 mins shaking the basket at 5 min intervals.
Add the seasoned onions and peppers to the potatoes and continue cook till softened.
How to store and reheat
These can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an air tight container. Be sure to let the food cool completely on the counter before storage. I honestly won’t recommend freezing this recipe.
You can reheat in the microwave or air fryer. To reheat in the microwave, place in a microwave safe bowl or plate and reheat on high at 30 secs intervals till warmed through.
To reheat in the air fryer, transfer to air fryer basket or racks and reheat at 380°F / 180°C for 4 to 5 mins or until heated through.
Variations of this recipe
There are quite a few ways to sweet up these home fries. One of them is to switch up the seasoning. Below are a few ways to enjoy this.
Southern Home fries
These are basically home fries seasoned with creole seasoning. They are delicious brings a southern twist to these American potatoes.
Garlic butter fries
This is the easiest with very few ingredients. Simply toss potatoes in oil then season with salt and air fry. Add garlic butter and onions 5 mins before end of cook time.
Air frying Tips
- This recipe was made in a non preheated air fryer.
- Because of the length of time it will take the potatoes to cook, the chopped onions and peppers can’t be added at the same time cos they would get over cooked.
- These can be made in the instant pot vortex oven. Place potatoes on the racks and use a spatula to move them around after adding the onions and peppers.
Frequently asked questions
What is the difference between home fries and hash browns
Hash browns are usually shredded potatoes that are pan fried till golden, while home fries are diced or cubed potatoes with onions and peppers.
Do you have to boil potatoes before air frying them?
Though I parboiled these air fryer parmentier potatoes to keep in line with the traditional way it’s cooked in the stove top, you have to boil potatoes before air frying them.
What are home fries called in the south?
Home fries go by a variety of names like American potatoes, Peasant potatoes, Bistro potatoes and House fries. I’ve that in the south, these are called southern fried potatoes or smothered fried potatoes. If you’re from the south, I’d love to hear your from you on this.
Should you soak potatoes in salt water before air frying?
Soaking potatoes help to reduce the starch content and also improves the crispy texture add salt to the water improves taste because the potatoes will absorb some salt. You don’t have to do it but I think it helps. If you do that be sure to adjust other seasonings accordingly.
Why are my home fries not crispy?
Try this if you are having a soggy problem with your air fried home fries. Soak for at least 30 mins, use oil, do not overcrowd the basket and cook for longer.
If you try this recipe, show it off on Instagram! Be sure to Follow and Tag @Airfryeryumblog on Instagram and use the hashtag #airfryeryumblog so we can see your recreations!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it! Then follow Air Fryer Yum on Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro Tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Crispy Air fryer home fries (American Fries)
- Cosori Air fryer
- Chopping board
- Mixing bowl
- 1.5 lbs Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- ½ medium Red bell pepper chopped
- ½ medium Green bell pepper chopped
- 1 small Onion chopped
- Wash potatoes and cut into cubes. Soak in water for 30 mins if time permits.
- Gather other ingredients while potatoes are soaking.
- Drain potatoes after 30 mins and pat dry with paper towel.
- Transfer potatoes to a bowl, add oil and melted butter if using. Mix spice blend, add it to potatoes reserving about ½ teaspoon to season the onions and peppers. Toss till potatoes are well coated
- Transfer seasoned potatoes into the air fryer basket and air fry at 400°F / 200°C for 15 mins. Stirring half way through with a spatula.
- While the potatoes are cooking, season the chopped onions and peppers with the rest of the spice blend. Add it to the potatoes when the cooking time is complete.
- Gently mix it in with the potatoes then you continue cooking for another 5 to 6 mins. The potatoes should be fully cooked and the onions and peppers softened.
- Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional information is an estimate and may change based on products used. Please read full nutrition disclaimer here.
Did you make this air fryer recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment below. If you loved it please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in you favorite Facebook group.