Learning to make potatoes and onions in air fryer was a true game changer for my family. Seriously, this air fryer potatoes and onions recipe is sure to please. You get Crispy yet fluffy potatoes and caramelized onions in every bite.
Thinking of making this tasty side dish a complete meal? How does air fryer roasted potatoes and onion served with steak, chicken or sausages sound to you, cool right? Wait until you’ve had it with a drizzle of your favorite dipping sauce and you won’t be cooking it any other way.
Roasted air fryer potatoes and onions recipe.
Air fryer potatoes and onions are super easy to make. With a handful of common pantry ingredients you will be making a delicious side dish in no time. This is a budget friendly meal that doesn’t sacrifice flavor.
I love how air fryer cubed potatoes come out with crispy edges and fluffy centers and make for a tasty Vegan / Vegetarian side dish. Not Vegan or Vegetarian? You could easily throw in some chicken breast and peppers to make some air fryer Chicken and potatoes.
Air fryer potatoes and onions are
- Naturally gluten free so no need for any special flours or ingredients in this recipe.
- Ready in less time than it takes to bake it in the oven.
- Family friendly and crowd pleasing. C’mon who doesn’t love a well roasted spud?
Ingredients (with Substitutions)
- Potatoes: I used russet potatoes cut into cubes for this recipe. You can use baby potatoes or any other potatoes like Maris Piper, Yukon gold, Red potatoes or Idaho potatoes
- Onions: White onions was used here. Feel free to use any onion you have on hand. Red, purple or yellow onions will work too.
- Potato seasoning: I used a combination of Paprika, Salt, Garlic powder, Ground rosemary, black pepper and Italian seasoning for my seasoning, feel free to use any combination of seasoning you prefer.
Tools used for this recipe
How long to cook potatoes and onions in air fryer
These air fryer potatoes and onions got ready in about 20 mins at 400°F / 200°C in my non preheated Cosori dual blaze air fryer. Contrary to the belief that you do not need to flip foods in the Cosori dual blaze because of the dual heating element,
I find that the top element cooks faster so shaking the basket or flipping foods over help the foods brown more evenly. If you are also wondering how to know if air fried potatoes and onions are done. Here’s the secret, the potatoes would be fork tender and the onions would be soft and translucent.
How to air fry potatoes and onions
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Scroll down to the end of this post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
Wash and peel potatoes. If you intend to leave the skin on, ensure you scrub the potatoes thoroughly to remove dirt.
Dice potatoes into cubes, pat dry and transfer to a clean and dry mixing bowl. Cut onions into large chunks and add to the potatoes.
Next add oil and seasoning blend. Toss to combine. Ensure potatoes and onions are well coated.
Transfer to air fryer basket, set temperature to 400°F / 200°C and air fry for 20 mins or until fork tender. Remember to shake the basket half way through cooking time.
What to serve with potatoes and onions
Potatoes and onions go well with a variety of proteins. From Chicken to fish and steak. Below are a few of our favorites to make this a complete meal.
How to store and reheat
Air fry roasted potatoes and onions keep well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To ensure it keeps well. Be sure to let the dish cook completely before storing in a clean and dry air tight container.
Reheat these in the air fryer or microwave when ready to enjoy it. If you want it to crisp up like when you just cooked it, the air fryer is the better option. Reheat at 350°F / 180°C for till it warms through. Could take up to 4 mins x depending on the quantity being reheated.
Air frying Tips
- Cut potatoes cubes evenly so the cook evening
- Cut onions in chunks so they don’t burn and also so they don’t fall through the basket.
- Do not overcrowd the basket to ensure the potatoes and onions cook evenly
- I like caramelized onions so I start cooking the onions with the potatoes. If you like onions that still have a bit of crunch in them, add the onions after 10 mins of cooking the potatoes.
Here you’ll find answers to common questions about this recipe. If your question isn’t answered, please leave us a comment below and we’ll gladly answer them.
Are air-fried potatoes healthy?
Air-fried potatoes are as healthy as roast potatoes in the air fryer. When it comes to healthy eating I think moderation is key. Including potatoes in your diet is great and roasting it is healthier than deep frying.
Should I boil my potatoes before I air fry them?
You don’t need to boil potatoes before air frying. The air fryer does a good job at cooking potatoes to perfection.
Can I make this in my Ninja foodi air fryer?
Yes you can make Potatoes and onions in Ninja foodi. Follow the same steps as shared in this recipe when using your Ninja Foodi.
If you try this recipe, show it off on Instagram! Be sure to Follow and Tag @Airfryeryumblog on Instagram and use the hashtag #airfryeryumblog so we can see your recreations!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it! Then follow Air Fryer Yum on Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro Tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Air fryer potatoes and onions
- Cosori dual blaze air fryer 6 qt
- Heat resistant Silicon spatula or spoons
- Mixing bowl
- 1.5 Pounds potatoes
- 1 Large White onion
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Rosemary
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Cut potatoes into cubes or halves if using baby potatoes . Slice the onions into large chunks or rings.
- Transfer to a potatoes and onions into a clean bowl. Add oil and seasoning, toss to combine.
- Transfer seasoned potatoes and onions into air fryer basket, set temp to 400°F / 200°C and cook for 20 to 22 mins tossing every 5 mins with silicone spatula to ensure even cooking.
- Potatoes are cooked when they are fork tender. Serve immediately with steak, chicken or any side of your chose. (See blog post for more suggestions)
- No need to preheat the air fryer.
- Cut potatoes evenly and onions into large chunks.
- If you love cooking potatoes with skin on, be sure to scrub the potatoes well and also consider buying organic potatoes.
- To ensure even cooking, do not overcrowd the basket. Also, remember to toss with a spatula halfway through cooking time or every 5 mins.
Nutritional information is an estimate and may change based on products used. Please read full nutrition disclaimer here.
Did you make this air fryer recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment below. If you loved it please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in you favorite Facebook group.