Making sliced potatoes in air fryer is one of the best ways to cook this versatile gluten free vegetable. These herby Air fryer sliced potatoes are quick, easy and packed full of flavor.
The perfect side dish to a variety of recipes from chicken to steak or even marinated air fryer vegetables. This recipe will show you how to make fluffy potatoes with crispy edges in less time than it would take you to make it in the oven.
Table of Contents
- 1 Air fryer Sliced Potatoes Recipe
- 2 Join our Air fryer recipes group on Facebook!
- 3 Why you’ll love these air fryer potato slices
- 4 Ingredients
- 5 Tools needed for this recipe
- 6 How to slice potatoes
- 7 How to make sliced potatoes in air fryer
- 8 How to serve
- 9 How long to cook sliced potatoes in air fryer.
- 10 Variations of this recipe
- 11 How to store
- 12 Air frying Tips
- 13 Frequently asked questions
- 14 More Air fryer Potato recipes
- 15 Air fryer Sliced potatoes (Air fryer Potato slices)
Air fryer Sliced Potatoes Recipe
These potato slices are some of my favorite holiday side dishes. I love that I can make these in my air fryer freeing up the stove you or oven for other recipes.
If you haven’t tried these well seasoned air fryer sliced potatoes in your air fryer just yet, this is the time to do so and I promise you are not doing it any other way. Same goes for these air fryer red potatoes, so good!
Why you’ll love these air fryer potato slices
Potatoes are very popular because they are versatile and delicious. These sliced potatoes in air fryer recipes checks quite a number of boxes. It requires minimal prep and just a few pantry staples.
- Family friendly
- Gluten free
- Potatoes. Any potato will work however waxy spuds like red potatoes tend to take longer to cook.
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning or herbs de Provence
- Dry Basil
Tools needed for this recipe
How to slice potatoes
You can slice potatoes with or without the skin and you can either use a knife or a mandolin.
Using a knife: Place the potato on a chopping board and slice downwards towards the chopping board to your desired thickness starting from the tip to the end of the potato.
Using a Mandoline slicer: For your safety, focus and pay attention when you want to use a mandolin. Secure the potato on the food holder of your mandoline slicer.
Hold the secure potato then place it over the slicing section of the mandolin then move it up and down to slice the potato.
The sliced potatoes fall on the receiving tray or container (some mandolin slicers come with a receiving container)
How to make sliced potatoes in air fryer
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos to air fry potato slices. Scroll down to the end of this post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
Wash and slice potatoes evenly. Soak for 15 to 30 mins. Drain and pat dry with paper towel. Add oil and seasoning.
Toss to coat then transfer to air fryer basket and air fry at 400°F / 200°C for 15 to 18 mins, shaking the basket at 5 mins intervals.
How long to cook sliced potatoes in air fryer.
I used my Cosori Air fryer and these cooked in 15 mins however, a variety of factors will affect how long it takes to cook potato slices in the air fryer so please bear that in mind when making this potato recipe
- Brand and size of air fryer used: Air fryers cook differently. If making a recipe for the first time, keep an eye on it and don’t be afraid to take a peek often.
- Type of potatoes: Waxy potatoes like red potatoes tend to take longer to cook in the air fryer.
- Thickness of the slices: Thicker slices will take longer than thinner ones.
- Quantity made at a time: Over crowding the air fryer will lead to uneven cooking and longer cook time.
Variations of this recipe
Make it cheesy: Top these off with your favorite cheese to make it a cheesy affair. Cheeses like mozzarella, cheddar or Parmesan are great options. Who says you can’t mix 2 different ones too!
Load it up: Throw in some bacon crumbles and spring onions to the cheesy potatoes to make it loaded.
Make some seasoned potato slices: Use your favorite season blend and make these into Cajun potato slices or Suya potatoes by using the individual spices.
How to store
Let potatoes cool completely before storing in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I don’t recommend freezing these. Reheat in the air fryer or microwave.
Air frying Tips
- To ensure even cooking, cut potato slices evenly.
- Soak in water to help crisp up the edges better.
- Switch up your choice of spices or use specific spice blends like Cajun.
- Shake your basket at least half way through to ensure all slices get the heat and cook evenly. I actually shake at 5 mins intervals.
- These are slices not chips. Do not cut them too thin. You’d want a bit of a bite in them.
Frequently asked questions
Why are my air fryer potatoes not crispy?
Not all potatoes get crispy. These would have crispy edges and fluffy insides. Crispy fries get to that level of crispy because they have been fried twice. Also thickness of the potatoes can affect how crispy they turn out.
Should I oil potatoes before baking?
Oiling potatoes before baking in the air fryer or bacon helps with texture. It makes the potatoes have the crispy exterior we love with a fluffy inside.
Why do you soak potatoes in water before air frying
Soaking potatoes removes most of the starch and helps get the potatoes crispy.
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro Tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Air fryer Sliced potatoes (Air fryer Potato slices)
- Air fryer
- 1.8 lbs Potatoes (cut into slices)
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 Teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon dry basil
- ½ Teaspoon Granulated onion
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Paprika
- Soak Potatoes in water for 15 mins to get rid of some starch and increasing the chances of a crispy outcome.
- After soaking, drain throughly using a colander, then transfer to a mixing bowl
- Add the oil, salt and spice + herbs blend to the drained potato slices. Mix till Potatoes are evenly coated.
- Transfer half of the seasoned potato slices to the air fryer basket. Set temperature to 400°F / 200°C and cook for 15 mins shaking at 5 mins intervals for even cooking.
- Remove first batch of air fried potato slices and cook second batch. Since the air fryer was preheated while cooking the first batch, the second batch should be ready in 14 mins.
- Serve with your favorite dip or side dish.
Did you make this recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment below. Also be sure to Follow & Tag @AirFryerYumBlog on Instagram when you make any of our recipes. We are honored and would love to see your recreations of our recipes!