Air fryer hot dogs or air fried hot dogs are quick and easy to make. In less than 10 mins, you’ve got crispy skinned hot dogs with juicy insides. Ready to be served on its own, with salads or in a hot dog bun topped with ketchup and mustard or even some sauerkraut or relish.
Save some time and make these juicy hot dogs in your air fryer instead at your next summer barbecue party! While we are at it, let me show you how to make this grill season favorite, indoors and in your air fryer.
Table of Contents
- 1 Easy air fryer hot dogs recipe (beef franks in air fryer)
- 2 Why you’ll love air fried hot dogs
- 3 Favorite hot dog brands
- 4 What you’ll need to make these juicy air fryer hot dogs
- 5 Suggested hot dog toppings
- 6 How long does it take to cook hot dogs in air fryer?
- 7 How to Air fry hot dogs
- 8 What to serve with air fryer hot dogs
- 9 Storing and reheating hot dogs
- 10 Air frying Tips
- 11 FAQs
- 12 More air fryer recipes
- 13 Air fryer hot dogs (two ways)
Easy air fryer hot dogs recipe (beef franks in air fryer)
Can you air fry hot dogs? Yes, the air fryer is actually one of the best ways to make hotdogs. Whether you are making beef hot dogs, Turkey hot dogs or pork hot dogs, you’ll love how these turn out.
The air fryer gives these sausages the grill feel without turning on the grill. You might be missing the signature grill marks. Please believe me it’s as good without those.
From making hot dog burnt ends, split / butterflied hot dogs or even cocktail hot dogs aka wieners or smokies, the air fryer is sure to please.
Why you’ll love air fried hot dogs
- Quick and easy: Air fryer hot dogs are faster than oven baked hot dogs. There’s no need to turn on your oven to make these and it’s no longer restricted to the outdoor or indoor grill.
- Low carb and keto friendly: Hot dogs are low carb and keto friendly meal without the carby bun. Simply swap out the bun with this keto hot dog bun or serve it up in a salad as a source of protein and you’ve got yourself a nice low carb dinner.
- Versatile: It can be elevated from a street and snack or meal to dinner by adding some potatoes and onions to make Air fryer potatoes and sausage or you can easily make some hot dog salad with these by throwing in your favorite healthy veggies and topping with a yummy salad dressing.
- Consistent results: Cooking hot dogs in air fryer yields consistent results. This is also an air fryer beginner friendly recipe. The results are consistent across air fryers whether it’s the Cosori, Gourmia, Ninja or Instant Vortex, this isn’t a recipe that can get messed up. Older kids (teenagers and college students) can easily fix this so it’s a win win!
Favorite hot dog brands
- Nathan’s famous
- Hebrew National
- Costco brand (Kirkland beef hot dogs)
- Sabrett frankfurters
- Ball park
What you’ll need to make these juicy air fryer hot dogs
- Your favorite brand of hot dogs
- Hot dog buns
- Hot dog toppings (see list below)
Suggested hot dog toppings
You can easily create a hot dogs toppings bar. What do you like as a topping on your hot dog sandwich besides the standard ketchup and mustard. Get creative with it, it’s your hot dog remember? Below are some of our suggestions which includes our favorites
- Caramelized onions (which you can also make in the air fryer by the way)
- Sriracha sauce
- Freshly chopped Onions
- Baked beans
How long does it take to cook hot dogs in air fryer?
Hot dogs cooks to perfection at 400°F / 200°C for 8 mins in a non preheated air fryer. If you cook at a lower temperature like 350°F / 180°C expect these to cook for up to 10 mins depending on the air fryer was preheated or not.
How to Air fry hot dogs
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Scroll down to end of post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
As mentioned, this is super easy. Literally dump and bake. Here are the steps to follow
Method 1: Without making slits on the hot dogs
Place hot dogs in a single layer in an air fryer basket or tray.
Set temperature to 400°F / 200°C and cook for 8 mins! (Shake the basket or flip with a pair of tongs halfway through) Add a minute or two if you like your hot dogs with a bit of charred skin.
Place the cooked hot dogs in the bun and return to the air fryer. Let the residual heat warm up the bread. (Alternatively toast the hot dog bun.)
Get the warmed sandwich out and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy
Method 2: Scoring the hot dogs (aka making slits on the hot dogs)
Make 3 to 4 slits on one side of each hot dog. Place in the air fryer and air fry at 400°F (200°C) for 8 mins. Flipping halfway through. Add more time as needed.
What to serve with air fryer hot dogs
These can be enjoyed on its own as a snack. Or served on hot dog buns with your favorite toppings.
Air fryer hot dogs can also be served on a bed of lettuce, heathy greens or with some coleslaw. It can also be cooked with potatoes for a meal of hot dogs and potatoes.
Storing and reheating hot dogs
Air fried hot dogs will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Let it cool completely before stopping in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To reheat pop in the microwave and reheat at 20 mins intervals till warmed through. It could take up to 90 seconds depending on the quantity you are reheating.
Reheating in the air fryer is also easy. Place hot dogs in air fryer basket or tray and reheat at 350°F / 180°C for 3 to 5 mins or until warmed through.
Air frying Tips
- While I have shared two methods to cook hot dogs in the air fryer, you do not need to poke holes or make slits on the hot dogs for them to cook perfectly.
- No need to preheat the air fryer to cook hot dogs. If you do, it will likely cook faster than stated in this recipe. Keep an eye on it and kindly adjust your time accordingly.
- Cook in a single layer. Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- Remember to shake the basket or flip the hotdogs halfway through for even cooking.
This would depend on the size of the air fryer. Generally 10 hot dogs can fit comfortably in a Cosori basket (5.8qt model) without needing to overlap. 12 to 14 would fit in the Cosori dual blaze. 10 would fit in a Gourmia 6qt and Ninja XL.
If you have dorm room sized air fryers for college students, those are usually the smaller air fryers between 2 qt to 4 qt, they would fit 4 to 6 hot dogs.
Yes you can cook frozen hot dogs in air fryer. It’s super easy too with no need to thaw and only takes a couple of minutes more to cook them straight from frozen. A total time of 13 mins should be ideal.
Personally I found 400°F / 200°C to work best for me. It’s hot enough to get the hot dogs cooking as soon as they get in and also gets me some slightly charred hot dogs faster.
If you try this recipe, show it off on Instagram! Be sure to Follow and Tag @Airfryeryumblog on Instagram and use the hashtag #airfryeryumblog so we can see your recreations!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it! Then follow Air Fryer Yum on Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro Tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Air fryer hot dogs (two ways)
- Cosori Air fryer
- Kitchen tongs
- 6 links Hot dogs
- 6 Hot dog buns
- ¼ Cup ketchup
- ¼ Cup mustard
Air fry the hot dogs without slits
- Place hot dogs in air fryer basket. Set temperature to 400°F / 200°C and air fry for 8 to 10 mins.
- Remember to shake the basket or flip the hot dogs half way through cooking time to ensure they cook evenly on all sides.
Making it with slits
- Make 3 to 4 slits about ¼ in deep on each hot dogs. Place in the air fryer basket and air fry at 400°F (200°C) for 8 mins.
Warming the buns
- When the hot dogs are cooked. Put the hotdogs in the buns and place in the air fryer basket and let the residual heat warm it up.
- If you prefer the hot dog buns lightly toasted, brush the inside of the buns with butter then place in the air fryer basket set temp to 400°F (200°C) and air fry butter side up for 2 mins.
- You can now place the hot dogs on the burn and air fry another couple of mins.
- No need to preheat the air fryer. If you do, cook hot dogs for less time. Start checking for doneness at 6 mins.
- If cooking with an air fryer oven like the instant pot vortex oven cook in the middle rack for a couple less minutes because it automatically preheats for 5 mins
- Do not over crowd the basket and be sure to flip the hot dogs half way through cooking time.
Did you make this air fryer recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment below. If you loved it please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in you favorite Facebook group.
Recipe was first published in May 2022. It has been updated to include more helpful tips and some new pictures.