Hot dog wraps with toasted bread or tortillas are one of the ways we enjoy hot dogs in our home. These cheesy air fryer hot dog wraps are super easy to make and are so delicious. I know you’ll agree that the filling in these easy air fryer hot dog recipe checks all the boxes. You just need to give it a try.
What are hot dog wraps or hot dog roll ups?
Hot dog wraps are simply hot dogs wrapped in anything from bread to tortillas to lettuce to bacon or even crescent dough. Yes pigs in a blanket and pretzel dogs though not traditionally called wraps are actually some form of hot dog wraps since the hot dogs or mini dogs are essentially wrapped.
However Hot dogs wrapped in bread or tortillas are the classic examples of what hot dog wraps or roll ups really are.
Why these Air fryer Hot dog wraps are so good.
You might be wondering why these yummy air fryer wraps are so good! Why not just make hot dogs and put it in a bun and devour? Hot dogs in a bun are so good but these hot dog wraps are even better. Here’s why.
- You are literally getting the best of two words when you make these with flattened bread. It’s like you are having grilled cheese and a hot dog in a bun all at once.
- Have you tried buttery crispy air fryer toast? Oh yes the bread gets all toasty and delicious with a heavenly crunch in every bite. You’ve really got to try these.
- Wrapped hot dogs are very easy and I am yet to meet someone who doesn’t like easy recipes.
- These bread wrapped hot dogs can serve as a great back to school idea for lunch.
Want to make the best Hot dog wraps with bread? Here’s what you’ll need
- Hot dogs
- Sliced bread
- American Cheese or any cheese of choice
- Air fryer
- Chopping board
- Rolling pin
- Butter spreader
The Bread: The type of bread used can be swapped out to suit your lifestyle. Use Vegan bread if vegan, low carb or Keto bread if low carb and so on. Use Gluten free bread if gluten free or making for a crowd.
Hot dogs: Swap the hot dogs for vegan hot dogs.
Butter: Use oil or Vegan butter.
How to make air fryer hot dog wraps
Now to the fun part of making this recipe right before the even more fun part of eating it all up.
Making it with bread
Gather your ingredients. All ingredients should be at room temperature. Place a slice of bread on the cutting board, roll it out with the rolling pin till flat.
Place the cheese in the middle of the bread, place the hot dig at the edge then roll up till you get to the other end. No need to seal.
Brush some butter on all over the wrapped hot dogs and place in the air fryer. Bake at 400°F / 200°F for 8 mins.
Making hot dog roll ups with tortilla wraps
For this method, you will need the 4 inch round soft tortillas. Place the cheese on a tortilla, place the hot dogs on one end and roll up to the other end. Rub a little water at the end to seal.
Place in the air fryer and bake at 400°F / 200°F for 8 mins.
Are these wrapped hot dogs the same as weiner wings?
Wrapped hot dogs and wiener wings fall in the same category since they are both wrapped with bread. The difference is in the way they are wrapped.
Weiner wings or hot dog wings are wrapped in such a way that the bread is wrapped around the hot dogs and cheese as is. No rolling.
Spread butter on one side of a sliced bread. The cheese and hot dogs are placed in the bread diagonally on the un buttered surface.
Next the two corners of the bread are brought together over the hot dog and cheese and secured with a tooth pick. Then baked till golden brown. This will be the how it turns out.
Make it Vegan: Use vegan friendly bread, Vegan hot dogs, vegan cheese and vegan butter.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten free bread to make this recipe gluten free.
Throw in some bacon bits in there. It’s so yummy.
- Pat the hot dogs dry before wrapping.
- All ingredients are best at room temperature.
- You can melt the butter to make it easier to brush on the bread.
Can I eat hot dogs straight out of the packaging? Can you eat it raw?
No you can’t eat hot dogs straight out of the packaging. You need to cook it in any of the following ways, boiling, microwaving, or baking in the air fryer or oven.
Can you put hot dogs in the air fryer?
Absolutely. To be honest the air fryer makes the best hot dogs in my opinion.
Can you toast in an air fryer?
Yes you can. The air fryer works well when toasting bread or sandwiches right in there.
Are hot dogs fully cooked?
Hot dogs are fully cooked, however they need to be reheated to be safe for consumption. They shouldn’t be eaten right out of the packaging.
Other easy air fryer bread recipes.
If you loved this hot dog roll ups recipe, you’d like these other air fryer recipes that feature bread.
- Air fried Bacon grilled cheese sandwich.
- Fried peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the air fryer.
- Air fryer toast bread
- Yummy Air fryer French toast
- Air fryer Eggs and bacon toast
More air fryer recipes to try
- How to cook frozen bacon in the air fryer
- Air fryer honey sriracha chicken wings
- Air fryer banana bread bundt cake
- Butternut squash fries in the air fryer
Check out all our >>>Air fryer Recipes!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air fryer Hot dog wraps (Hot dog roll ups)
- 5 hot dogs
- 5 slices of Bread
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 5 Slices American cheese
- Flatten each slice of bread with a rolling pin and set aside.
- Place a slice of American cheese in th middle of each flattened bread.
- Place a hot dog at the edge of each slice of bread. Roll it up with the bread and cheese wrapping it.
- Spread some butter on the exterior of the bread wrapping the hot dogs.
- Place in the air fryer basket and bake at 400°F / 200°C for 8 - 10 mins or till you achieve your desired level of toasted. Remember to flip the hot dog wraps half way through the cooking time.
Nutritional information is an estimate and may change based on products used. Please note that nutritional data on this website should be considered estimates and used as a guide only. Under no circumstances will www.AirFryerYum.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from the use of this nutritional information. You are encouraged to use a nutritional calculator with the exact brands you are using to get the most accurate information for each recipe.