Cooking red potatoes in air fryer appliances is the next best thing since sliced bread! These air fryer red potatoes (red skin potatoes) are well seasoned, with crispy edges and fluffy interior.
Whether you cook red potatoes with onions or with green beans, this easy recipe makes for a great side dish to a variety of foods from breakfast sausages to bacon or scrambled eggs. When you give it a go, you’ll agree that air fryer potatoes and onions are indeed a crowd pleaser.
Table of Contents
- 1 Air fryer red potatoes (red potatoes in air fryer)
- 2 Join our Air fryer recipes group on Facebook!
- 3 Why you’ll love air fryer roasted red potatoes with onions
- 4 Ingredients
- 5 How long to cook red potatoes in air fryer
- 6 How to air fry red potatoes
- 7 What to serve with air fryer roasted potatoes
- 8 How to store and reheat
- 9 Air frying Tips
- 10 FAQs
- 11 More air fryer recipes
- 12 Air fryer red potatoes (Red skin potatoes)
Air fryer red potatoes (red potatoes in air fryer)
Potatoes are budget friendly and readily available in the grocery stores. We cook potato slices in the air fryer often and cooking red potatoes in the air fryer also counts as a quick, easy and accessible meal.
The potato seasoning used is made up of simple pantry ingredients. Air fryer red potatoes are as easy as these air fried cottage fries and can be enjoyed as a side dish to a variety of foods that are not necessarily meats.
Join our Air fryer recipes group on Facebook!
Why you’ll love air fryer roasted red potatoes with onions
- Beginner friendly
- Quick and easy
- Budget friendly
- Picky eater approved
Related: Related recipes: Air fryer fingerling potatoes, air fryer roasted rainbow potatoes, baby potatoes in air fryer
- Red potatoes* (full grown or baby red potatoes)
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Ground Rosemary
- Onions (Red or yellow)
Wondering where to buy red potatoes? They are available in most grocery stores like Walmart.
Potatoes: These were made with red baby potatoes but will work for full grown red skin potatoes too. You could also use other potatoes species like Russets potatoes, Maris piper, Yukon gold, Idaho potatoes etc.
Potato seasoning blend: switch up your seasoning blend to give these a different taste. Roasted Cajun red potatoes are some of our favs.
Tools use for this recipe
The links below may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and affiliate to other merchants, this website may earn from qualifying purchases. Please read full disclosure here
- You’ve got to love Cosori air fryer potatoes This recipe was made using the Cosori air fryer you can get yours here for 15% off with code AFY15 while supplies last.
- Mixing bowl
- Perforated Parchment paper or perforated silicon Mat (optional)
- Kitchen tongs (optional)
- Heat resistant mat for your counter top
- Meal prep bowls for storage and easy reheating
How long to cook red potatoes in air fryer
In general, there are a few factors that affect how long it takes to cook food in the air fryer. These include the type of air fryer, if you preheat or not and the size of the potatoes.
Air fried Red potatoes tend to take a little more time to cook than yellow potatoes or russet potatoes. It takes about 20 to 22 mins to cook baby red potatoes. It will take up to 25 mins to cook fully grown cubed potatoes and up to 45 mins to cook whole red potatoes.
How to air fry red potatoes
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Scroll down to end of post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
Wash the red potatoes thoroughly and pat dry. If using baby potatoes, you can cook whole or cut each into 2. If using full grown red potatoes, cut into cubes.
Cut onions in large chunks and add it to the potatoes. Season potatoes and onions with oil and seasoning blend.
Transfer to an air fryer basket or rack and air fry at 400°F / 200°C for 20 to 22 mins or until fork tender.
What to serve with air fryer roasted potatoes
Wondering what to serve with red potatoes? I’ve got you! Red potatoes can be served with salads, chicken, steak, lamb chops, dips like ketchup, fry sauce, bbq sauce and lots more.
How to store and reheat
Air fryer red potatoes store and reheat well. Before storing, let the potatoes cool completely then transfer to a clean and dry airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days
Microwave: Place potatoes in a paper towel lined microwave safe plate and microwave on high at 30 secs intervals till warmed through. It can take up to 2 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes.
Air fryer: Transfer potatoes into air fryer basket, set temperature to 350°F / 180°C and air fry for 5 to 6 mins until warmed through
Air frying Tips
- Cut potatoes into equal sizes to ensure the red potatoes cook evenly.
- Do not overcrowd the basket
- No need to preheat the air fryer. However, if you do or if your air fryer has automatic preheat, the potatoes would cook faster by a couple of minutes.
- Cut onions into large chunks to ensure they don’t burn or fall through the baskets or rack.
- Cook onions together with potatoes for best results if you like crispy onions. However, if you prefer less crispy onions. Add the onions half way through cooking time.
Here you’ll find answers to common questions about this recipe. If your question isn’t answered, please leave us a comment below and we’ll gladly answer them.
Should you boil potatoes before air frying?
Generally you do not need to boil potatoes before air frying. The air fryer cooks pretty fast so there is really no need to do so. However recipes like Air fried Parmentier potatoes, Air-fryer smashed potatoes or Air fryer Potato skins will require boiling before air frying because of the nature of the recipe.
How many potatoes in a pound?
Full grown red potatoes are approximately 7 to 9 red potatoes in a pound. Red baby potatoes (red new potatoes) are about 12 to 15 potatoes in a pound.
Do you wrap potatoes in foil when using the air fryer?
It is not necessary to wrap potatoes in foil when cooking in the air fryer except you are making air fryer hobo dinners or foil packets.
If you try this recipe, show it off on Instagram! Be sure to Follow and Tag @Airfryeryumblog on Instagram and use the hashtag #airfryeryumblog so we can see your recreations!
More air fryer recipes
- Air fryer roasted sweet potatoes
- Air-fried bacon wrapped potatoes
- Air fryer sausage and potatoes
- Meatballs and potatoes in air fryer
Check out all our >>>Air fryer Recipes!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it! Then follow Air Fryer Yum on Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro Tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Air fryer red potatoes (Red skin potatoes)
- 1.5 lbs red potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground rosemary (optional)
- 1 Medium Onion (chopped into large chunks)
Prepare the red potatoes
- Wash potatoes thoroughly. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Slice the potatoes into halves if using baby potatoes and into quarters, cubes or wedges if using whole red potatoes.
Season the Potatoes
- Transfer potatoes and chopped onions to a clean bowl. Add oil to potatoes, salt, garlic powder, onion powder (if using), and ground rosemary.
- Mix till well combined
- Transfer seasoned potatoes and onions to air fryer basket or tray (if using the air fryer oven) see notes
- Set temp to 400°F / 200°C and cook for 20 to 22 mins for baby potatoes and up to 25 mins for cubed or wedges full grown red potatoes.
- Do not overcrowd the basket
- If cooking with the oven style air fryer that preheats automatically, these will cook in less time.
- Cut onion in chunks so they don’t burn or fall through the basket or racks.
- Add the onions with potatoes at the beginning for a caramelized onion effect. If you prefer the onions crunchy, add it half way through cooking time.
Did you make this air fryer recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment below. If you loved it please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in you favorite Facebook group.
Share your thoughts!