Air fryer mushrooms and onions is a quick and easy vegan and vegetarian side dish that everyone can enjoy. With simple ingredients and less than 20 mins you are about to make one of the tastiest air fried sliced mushrooms recipe that can be served as a side to potatoes, rice, pork, steak or chicken. It can also make a great topping for pizza or filling for burgers and grilled cheese.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below and we’ll send it to your inbox right away! Plus you’ll get amazing recipes & tips from us every week. Enjoy!
Table of Contents
- Easy Air fryer Mushrooms and onions Recipe
- Join our Air fryer recipes group on Facebook!
- This Air fried sliced mushrooms and onions recipe is
- Ingredients (with Substitutions)
- How long to cook mushrooms and onions in air fryer
- How to air fry mushrooms and onions
- What to serve with
- How to store and reheat
- Air frying Tips
- More air fryer recipes
- Air fryer mushrooms and onions
Easy Air fryer Mushrooms and onions Recipe
A super easy mushroom and onions recipe! If you are a mushroom lover, chances are that you’ve tried mushrooms in a variety of ways from pan fried or sautéed to air fried sliced mushrooms, boiled mushrooms, or even using them in mushroom soups.
Trust me air fryer mushrooms and onions will impress you too! Caramelized onions always adds a depth of flavor to many dishes. It brings that deliciousness to the table when cooked with mushrooms. Making this Air fryer mushrooms and peppers recipe a keeper and one you can’t resist.
This Air fried sliced mushrooms and onions recipe is
- Super easy to make with just 6 ingredients
- Family friendly and healthy
- Low carb, Keto friendly
- A delightful Vegan / Vegetarian air fryer dish that’s sure to please.
Ingredients (with Substitutions)
- Mushroom: I used baby Bella mushrooms also known as Cremini. You could use Yuit favorite mushroom.
- Oil: I used oil to keep this vegan. Any cooking oil would work Olive oil, Canols oil etc. You can use butter for extra flavor if not vegan. Vegans can vegan butter or coconut oil.
- Garlic powder: Use onion powder
- Black pepper
- Onions: Use any onions of your choice from, white, yellow, purple or red.
Tools used for this recipe
How long to cook mushrooms and onions in air fryer
These air fryer mushrooms and onions cooked in 10 mins at 380°F / 190°C in a non preheated Cosori air fryer. However you need to bear in mind that this air fryers are different and food may take a little longer or shorter due to certain factors which include.
- Preheating: If you preheat, expect these to cook a couple of minutes faster than it did in this post.
- Temperature: If these are cooked in higher temps (400°F / 200°C) it will likely cook in less time. However you need to keep a close eye so these do not burn that’s why I prefer cooking at 380°F / 190°C. Likewise if you decide to cook at 350°F / 180°C which is even lower than I did, expect it to cook in more time.
- Air fryer brand: Some brands like Ninja tend to cook hotter than some other air fryers. Keep an eye on it to ensure your food doesn’t overcook.
- Size of mushrooms and onions: Large slices will take a little longer than thinly slices. Try to make the slices as evenly as possible.
How to air fry mushrooms and onions
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Scroll down to the end of this post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
Clean mushrooms then slice evenly. Slice the onions in rings. Transfer to a clean bowl, add oil and seasoning, toss to combine.
Transfer seasoned mushrooms and onions into air fryer basket, set temp to 380°F / 190°C and cook for 8 to 10 mins tossing half way through to ensure even cooking.
What to serve with
Wondering the best dish to pair with air fried mushrooms and onions? Good news! This air fryer side dish goes well with a number of other foods. We love to serve these with steak, chicken, air fryer trout, rice and potatoes.
Caramelized onions and mushrooms also make great toppings or fillings for pizza, burgers and grilled cheese.
How to store and reheat
Air fried Mushrooms and onions are best eaten immediately but can be stored in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to 3 days. Ensure it cools completely before storing in the refrigerator or freezer. You can freeze for up to a month.
You can reheat air fryer mushrooms and onions in the microwave or air fryer. My preference is the air fryer because so it doesn’t get soggy.
Air frying Tips
- No need to preheat the air fryer
- Do not overcrowd the basket
- Stir the mushrooms and onions often with a silicon spatula to ensure even cooking.
- Cut the onions and mushrooms evenly but not too thin so they don’t burn.
Here you’ll find answers to common questions about this recipe. If your question isn’t answered, please leave us a comment below and we’ll gladly answer them.
What is the best mushroom for this recipe
I used Cremini mushrooms also known as baby bells mushrooms in this recipe, however you can use any mushroom you like including button mushrooms. I’ve also used white mushrooms and portobello mushrooms would work perfectly too.
Can you air fry mushrooms whole?
You can air fry mushrooms whole mushrooms if you are air frying only mushrooms. If making mushrooms and onions you need to cut it to be the same size with the onions.
How do you know when air fryer mushrooms and onions are cooked?
The mushrooms will shrink and become darker and soft but not mushy. The onions would become translucent and tender.
If you try this recipe, show it off on Instagram! Be sure to Follow and Tag @Airfryeryumblog on Instagram and use the hashtag #airfryeryumblog so we can see your recreations!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it! Then follow Air Fryer Yum on Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro Tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Air fryer mushrooms and onions
- Cosori air fryer 5.8 qt
- Heat resistant Silicon spatula or spoons
- Mixing bowl
- 8 oz Mushrooms (Cremini mushrooms aka Baby Bella mushrooms, Portobello or white mushrooms)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Large White onion
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Clean mushrooms then slice evenly. Slice the onions into rings. Transfer to a clean bowl.
- Add oil and seasoning, toss to combine.
- Transfer seasoned mushrooms and onions into air fryer basket, set temp to 380°F / 190°C and cook for 8 to 10 mins tossing halfway through with silicone spatula to ensure even cooking.
- Serve immediately with steak, chicken or any side of your chose. (See blog post for more suggestions)
- No need to preheat the air fryer.
- Do not overcrowd the basket to ensure even cooking. Also remember to toss with a spatula halfway through the cooking time.
- Slice mushrooms and onions evenly.
Did you make this air fryer recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment below. If you loved it please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in you favorite Facebook group.