Crispy air fryer breaded mushrooms are a delightful and tasty side dish, snack or appetizer. Breaded mushrooms in the air fryer requires a few ingredients and a little oil. The breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese give it a crunchy exterior and tender inside.
Crispy Air Fryer Breaded mushrooms recipe
Air fried mushrooms that’s tastes close to deep fried. With this recipe you need a lot lless oil to achieve crispy mushrooms.
I seasoned the breadcrumbs with grated Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, paprika and some salt. Feel free to season with any seasoning of your choice.
Breaded mushrooms serve as a healthy low carb snack and a nice and crunchy way to serve your veggies.
- Mushrooms: I used Bella mushrooms however white mushrooms or portobello mushrooms would work. If using portobello, cut it into quarts.
- Whole eggs or egg whites
- Parmesan cheese
- Oil spray
How to make Breaded mushrooms in the Air fryer
It’s easier than you think and since it’s mostly hands off, it takes little of your time.
Pic 1-3; Gather ingredients, mix breading ingredients except eggs. Dip cleaned mushroom in beaten egg.
Pic 4-6; Toss mushroom in dry breading mix, set aside. Repeat process. Let mushrooms rest before air frying.
Pic 7-9; Spray mushrooms then bake in air fryer at 400°F / 204°C. Flipping half way through.
Beer battered Mushrooms
You cannot make traditional beer battered mushrooms in the air fryer however you can make an adaptation by following the instructions below.
Make a batter with 1 cup all purpose flour, and ¾ cup beer. Dip the mushrooms in it. (No need for the egg and Parmesan cheese.)
Next let the excess batter drip off the mushrooms then toss in the bread crumbs mix. Let coated mushrooms rest before air frying.
Keto Breaded Mushrooms
To make keto breaded mushrooms in the Air fryer, keep the recipe the same except for the breadcrumbs. Swap it out with almond flour.
Vegan air fried mushrooms
To make this recipe vegan, swap out the egg for a cup of flour and ¾ cup of plant based milk. Dip the mushrooms in the batter.
Let excess batter drip off then toss coated mushrooms in seasoned breadcrumbs. Let rest before air frying.
What to serve it with
I served this with Sour cream and onion dip. You can serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Like ketchup, fry sauce etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes you can. Air fry at 400°F / 204°C for 15 mins. Flipping half way through cooking time.
If the frozen mushrooms are not breaded, air fry at 380°F/ 190°C for 10 - 12 mins
Tips to make the perfect crispy breaded Air fried mushrooms.
- Use Mushrooms that are close in size to aid even cooking.
- Do not soak mushrooms. Clean with a vegetable brush or rinse under warm running water while in a colander then pat dry with paper towel.
- Letting mushrooms rest after coating helps the coating stick better as the breadcrumbs would have time to absorb the liquid from the egg.
- If making battered or vegan mushrooms don’t forget to let excess batter drip off or the bread crumbs won’t stick.
We have more Air fryer Appetizers. Be sure to check them out!
- Frozen Mozzarella sticks in air fryer
- Air fryer meatballs from scratch. Easy peasy!
- Nothing beats movie theater popcorn right in your air fryer.
- Air fryer Tater tots
- Bacon wrapped pineapple in the air fryer
- Air fryer Pigs in a blanket
Check out all our >>>Air fryer Recipes!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Crispy Air Fryer Breaded mushrooms. (Garlic Parmesan Mushrooms)
- 16 oz Mushrooms about 20 mushroom buttons I used Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 large egg or ¼ cup egg whites
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika optional
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Sour cream and chive dip
- ¾ cup Sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons chives fresh or dry
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
Make the Dip
- Mix all the ingredients for the sour cream and chives dip and put in the refrigerator.
Clean the mushrooms
- You can do this either by using a vegetable brush to clean gently or place mushrooms in a colander and run under warm running water. Then pat dry. Do not soak mushrooms.
Make The breaded mushrooms
- Whisk egg in a bowl.
- Mix Parmesan cheese, Panko bread crumbs, spices, salt and herbs together in a bowl.
- Dip mushrooms in egg bowl
- Pick it our with kitchen tongs
- Place in breading mix and toss to coat
- Transfer coated mushrooms to a clean dry plate.
- Repeat process till all the mushrooms are coated.
- Let breaded mushrooms sit in the plate for about 5 mins. This will help the breadcrumbs absorb the moisture from the eggs and stick better to that mushrooms.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket then place mushroom in a single layer in the basket.
- Spray mushrooms with oil spray. Bake at 400°F / 204°C for 20 mins flipping half way through.
- Serve with dip
- Try to choose equal sized mushrooms. This will help all cook evenly.
- Let the breaded mushrooms rest for 5 mins before air frying.
- If you want the sour cream and onion dip at room temperature, make it right after the mushrooms are ready or bring it out of the refrigerator as soon as you start air frying the mushrooms.
- You can use white mushrooms or portobello mushrooms for this recipe. If using Portobello you can cut in quarts to make it smaller.
Nutritional information is an estimate and may change based on products used. Please read full nutrition disclaimer here.