Baking whole sweet potatoes in the air fryer is a walk in the park! This Air fryer sweet potato recipe requires minimal ingredients and gets ready in 30 mins or less depending on the size of the potatoes.
You will get nicely cooked crispy skin with fluffy insides dripping with butter and a nice sprinkle of black pepper and salt. You can also use sour cream or honey butter if you want to make a dessert out of it.
Baking sweet potatoes whole in the air fryer
This roasted or baked sweet potatoes recipe is one of the easiest recipes anyone can make. No need to turn on the oven in the hot summer heat. Enjoy the best of both worlds, delicious, hassle free and time saving.
Quite a number of people in Facebook groups are scared stiff of opening their air fryers and for good reason. No one really has the time to learn how to use a new kitchen gadget. We just really want a plug and play.
If that’s you, I’ve got you covered with resources and beginner recipes and tips. Plus a growing and safe air fryer group where you can feel free to ask questions and to make mistakes. No judgement!
Why this Air fryer sweet potato recipe works
If you still need convincing, I am happy to give you some pointers as to why this recipe works and why you should be making a batch right now.
- No kidding, this air fried sweet potatoes recipe requires minimal prep.
- You need just 3 ingredients which are accessible to you wherever you are in the world
- No baby sitting needed! One of the hallmarks of air frying.
- Baking potatoes in the air fryer boosts your confidence in cooking with your air fryer. No steep learning curve.
For roasting the potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Black pepper
- Parsley or scallions
How to make baked sweet potato in the Air fryer
Wash and dry the potatoes. Then rub some oil all over them. Sprinkle on some salt.
Alternatively Place potatoes in the air fryer basket then brush on some oil and sprinkle on some salt.
Bake at 400°F / 200°C for 30 - 50 mins depending on the size of the potatoes. Mine were medium sized potatoes and they took 30 mins to cook to perfection.
Remember to flip the potatoes half way through.
How long to bake sweet potatoes
The average time to make air fried sweet potatoes will depend on the size of the potatoes. This could be anywhere from 25 to 50 mins.
The smaller the potatoes, the less time it will take to cook. One trick to use is to pierce with a fork to check for doneness.
- All air fryers are different, therefore air fry recipes are guides. If you are using your air fryer for the first time it’s ok to open it multiple times to check for doneness. Also if using for the first time start checking any recipe 5 mins before the indicated time this will help you get a hang of how your own air fryer works.
- Try to cook similar sized potatoes to ensure even cooking and that all potatoes get done at the same time.
- If using the oven style air fryer, bake in the middle rack and cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer.
Frequently asked questions
Are air fried sweet potatoes healthy?
Yes these are healthy. There’s no healthier way than baking sweet potatoes vs deep frying. Besides it’s loaded with vitamins and fiber.
At what temperature is baked sweet potatoes done?
I bake mine at 400°F / 200°C in the air fryer
What is the healthiest way to cook sweet potatoes?
Boiling is said to retain more nutrients than other methods. A close second in terms of healthy choices would be baking.
Is it healthier to bake or boil?
Both are healthy options. Though boiling may retain more nutrients it can get boring eating only boiled potatoes so you can mix things up.
We’ve got more Air fryer sweet potato recipes
Hey potato lover! We’ve got more you should check out and I know you would love them
- Air fryer sweet potato fries from scratch
- Frozen sweet potatoes in the air fryer
- Air fryer sweet potato slices
- Sweet potato cubes
Other beginner friendly air fryer recipes
- Air fryer PF Chang’s honey chicken
- Grilled bacon wrapped shrimp in the air fryer.
- Air fryer chicken souvlaki recipe
- Fried bow tie pasta chips
Check out all our >>>Air fryer Recipes!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air fryer Baked sweet potatoes (whole)
- Air fryer
- Silicon brush
- Kitchen tongs
- 3 medium Sweet potatoes washed and dried with paper towel
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
For serving the potatoes
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place potatoes in the air fryer basket, brush with oil then sprinkle with some salt.
- Set temperature to 400°F / 200°C and bake for 15 mins, after 15 mins flip potatoes with a pair of kitchen tongs then bake for additional 15 mins or until fork tender.
- Transfer potatoes to a plate.
- Make a slit on the top, open up add butter and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or scallions
Nutritional information is an estimate and may change based on products used. Please note that nutritional data on this website should be considered estimates and used as a guide only. Under no circumstances will www.AirFryerYum.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from the use of this nutritional information. You are encouraged to use a nutritional calculator with the exact brands you are using to get the most accurate information for each recipe.