Love Roast chicken? This easy air fryer Christmas Chicken Recipe will be your new best friend. It’s quick and flavorful with tender juicy meat. Perfect for all occasions including Thanksgiving and Easter celebrations. This moist chicken with crispy skin can be served with Roasted potatoes, Rice or vegetables. Any side will compliment this easy air fryer marinated whole chicken recipe.
What is Christmas chicken?
Christmas Chicken is simply chicken cooked to during the holidays to celebrate Christmas. This article is about the recipe and not the light up Christmas chicken used as a holiday decoration or ornament. Just like Turkey is used during thanksgiving for some reason Chicken is the bird of choice during Christmas and any part of the bird can be used.
Why you’ll love Christmas Chicken in the Air fryer
Making Christmas Chicken roast in the air fryer saves you time when compared to making it in the oven. You’ll have your roast ready in less than an hour and you’ll be munching down some for dinner in less time. Here are a few more reasons to make Christmas Chicken in the air fryer.
Related: Air fryer Holiday recipes, Christmas ham in the air fryer, Air fried boiled whole chicken
Dietary: This is a moist and delicious low carb and Keto friendly recipe the whole family can enjoy without needing to make a separate meal.
Convenience: using the air fryer to make your Christmas roast chicken will help free up the oven to cook more food.
Versatility: This recipe isn’t limited to only whole chicken. You can make Christmas chicken with chicken breasts, thighs, Chicken leg quarters and drumsticks.
Accessibility: Recipe uses Pantry staples no fancy ingredients.
Ingredients needed to make the best roast chicken for Christmas
- Whole chicken
- White pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Fresh Rosemary
- Orange or lemon
How to make this juicy Air fryer Christmas chicken recipe
Prep the chicken: Remove giblets from cavity, pat chicken dry. Brush on the melted butter apply the salt and seasoning. Rub seasoning generously outside and inside the bird. Put onions, Rosemary sprig and cut orange into the cavity.
Let it marinate: Let the chicken marinate for 30 mins to 1 hour.
Air fry: Place chicken in the air fryer basket breast side down and set the temperature to 360°F / 182°C and air fryer for 40 mins flip over and air fry for another 15 to 20 mins until the internal temp reads at least 165°F / 74°C that’s the FDA recommended internal temp but to be honest I like to get it up to 185°F / 85°C for whole chicken and chicken leg quarters and it doesn’t dry out.
Let it rest: Place chicken in a serving plate cover with foil and let it rest for 5 mins. Garnish and serve with your favorite holiday side dishes.
Make it in the oven
Preheat the oven to 400°F / 200°C / Gas mark 6
Place seasoned chicken breast side up on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour 15 mins or until internal temperature reads 165°F / 74°C
Bring chicken out of the oven and tent with foil. Let it rest for 10 mins before serving.
How to store
Let whole chicken cool completely before wrapping and storing in an air tight container. Cooked chicken should be stored in the top shelf of the refrigerator away from raw meat for 3 to 4 days. If you intend to store for longer, it is recommended that you freeze and it can keep in the freezer for up to a month
Leftover chicken can be shredded and stored in the refrigerator to be used in salads and sandwiches and can be added into soups and pot pie fillings. The leftover portions after carving bones included can be used to make chicken broth.
Reheating whole chicken is like reheating store bought rotisserie chicken. It can be reheated in the air fryer or microwave. To reheat in the air fryer place chicken in the air fryer and set temp to 350°F / 177°C and air fry got 4 to 6 mins or until heated through. Remember to flip half way through.
What to serve with Christmas chicken
Christmas roast can be served with a variety If sides. Below are some of our favorite
- Potatoes: roast potatoes, mashed potatoes etc
- Vegetables like carrots, broccoli and cauliflower.
- Air fryer vegetables
- Remove the chicken from the fridge and let it warm up a bit for about 20 mins before seasoning.
- No need to preheat the air fryer. The air fryer heats up pretty fast.
- Flipping the chicken over helps it cook evenly. Instead of flipping at 40 mins like I suggested, you can also flip the chicken over half way through the cooking time say at 30 mins When it’s fully cooked, you can add a few more minutes and flip it over a couple more times if you want the skin browner.
- You can use the tongs to flip the bird by putting one lip of the tong inside the bird and the other on the outside. Then hold firmly and flip.
- An instant read digital meat thermometer is your best friend when cooking meats and this recipe is no different. Insert the prob of the thermometer in the thickest part between the breast and the thighs. The liquid should run clear and temperature to read at least 165°F / 74°C to be considered fully cooked and safe to eat.
- To save time, Christmas chicken can be made in Christmas Eve and stored in the refrigerator to be used the next day. Simply reheat using the method mentioned in the reheating section above.
Frequently asked questions
Can you put raw chicken in the air fryer?
Yes you can put raw chicken in that air fryer and it will get cooked to a tender juicy perfection.
How long does it take to cook a whole chicken in the air fryer?
It usually takes anywhere from 55 to 60 mins to cook in my Cosori and Gourmia Air fryers.
What is the best size of air fryer for a whole chicken?
The best size to cook a whole bird of 3.5lbs to 4.5 lbs would be a 5.8qt to 10qt air fryer.
How long does a whole roasted chicken last in the fridge?
A whole roasted chicken should last up to 4 days in the top shelve of the refrigerator. If storing for longer than 4 days, it’s best to freeze it. It can be frozen for up to a month.
More Christmas chicken recipes to try.
- Marinated whole chicken in air fryer
- Air fryer Chicken breasts
- Juicy air fryer Boneless chicken thighs
- Air fryer Roast chicken
Check out all our >>>Air fryer Recipes!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air fryer Christmas chicken recipe
- Gourmia air fryer / Cosori air fryer
- Kitchen tongs
- Silicon brush
- 1 (3.5lbs / 4lbs) whole chicken giblets removed
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter ;melted)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon basil (substitute with parsley)
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon white pepper or black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
For chicken cavity
- 1 small onion quartered
- 2 Sprigs fresh Rosemary
- ½ orange or lemon
Prep the chicken:
- Pat Chicken dry, mix oil and butter, salt and spice blend to form marinade.
Marinate the chicken:
- Brush marinade all over chicken and inside the cavity of the chicken. Let chicken marinade for 30 mins to an hour.
Fill the chicken cavity:
- When it’s time to cook, get chicken out and stuff the cavity with onions, fresh Rosemary and orange or lemon wedges. Tie the legs with a string if you like.
- Place whole chicken in air fryer breast side down and air fry at 360°F / 180°C for 40 mins then flip over and cook for another 15 mins or until internal temperature reads 165°F / 74°C on an instant read meat thermometer.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a plate, cover with foil and let it rest for 5 mins before carving and serving
Nutritional information is an estimate and may change based on products used. Please read full nutrition disclaimer here.