When you’ve roasted some baby potatoes in the air fryer, you are definitely not doing it any other way. These air fryer baby potatoes are quick and easy to make. They are fluffy with crispy skin and irresistibly tasty. How does well seasoned sound?
These baby potatoes are all that and more. You’ll love how these air fried Mini (little potatoes) turn out I promise. Let me show in easy steps how to cook them in the air fryer.
Air fryer baby potatoes recipe (Baby potatoes in air fryer)
Baby potatoes? Air fryer? Oh yes! These air fryer baby potatoes require a few ingredients that are probably already in your pantry and spice cabinet. Mini potatoes tossed in olive oil, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and paprika and gets ready in 20 mins.
Talk about a great side dish for weeknight dinners or even holiday dishes for Easter, Thanksgiving, or Christmas. Pairs well with meats and fish and also plant based options. Baby potato recipes are easily adaptable and they can be used to make steak and potato skewers or smashed potatoes.
What are Baby Potatoes?
Baby potatoes are potatoes that are harvested before they reach their full size. They come in the same varieties as regular potatoes. you could call them the mini versions each variety.
Because of their little size and thinner skin, they tend to cook faster than full sized potatoes and can be boiled, roasted, grilled or microwaved. They come out fluffy with crispy edges. Wondering how they taste? Back potatoes taste buttery and are deliciousx
Why make mini potatoes in air fryer appliances?
- Time saving and quick
- Versatile: air fryer baby potatoes can be served any time of the day for breakfast, brunch, lunch dinner or dinner. These little potatoes can serve as appetizer or snacks. Your options are limitless.
- Family friendly
- Fits most diets. These are Vegan/ Vegetarian, and Gluten-free. I find that they fit perfectly into most diets except of course if you are on a keto / low carb diet.
- Baby potatoes: I used the little potatoes company, depending on your location, baby potatoes are also called mini potatoes, new potatoes or little potatoes.
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Black pepper
- Italian seasoning
Types of baby potatoes that work for this recipe
- Red baby potatoes
- Rainbow baby potatoes
- Creamer potatoes
- Yellow baby potatoes
- Idaho baby potatoes
How long to cook baby potatoes in air fryer
The length of time it takes to cook baby potatoes in air fryer will depend on certain factors like size, type of potatoes and the temperature at which it is cooked. If it’s halved it will cook faster than when its cooked whole.
The type of potatoes also matters. For example, red potatoes take a longer time to cook than creamer baby potatoes. Cooking at a lower temperature like 350°F / 180°C will take longer than cooking at 400°F / 200°C.
How to make baby potatoes in air fryer
Gather your ingredients Wash potatoes thoroughly. Pat dry with paper towels, then follow the next steps.
Cutting mini potatoes in half
Cut baby potatoes into halves ensuring you keep sizes as close as possible. Add oil, season little potatoes.
Air fry at 400F / 200C for 15 to 20 mins. Baby Potatoes cook differently. Red baby potatoes take longer than the yellow small potatoes. The potatoes would be fork tender when they are cooked through.
Cooking air fryer whole baby potatoes
You can also cook baby potatoes whole. However they would take a longer than when they are cut. It would take anywhere from 20 to 22 minutes, depending on the potato specie and your air fryer.
These can be seasoned differently to suit your taste. I’ve used Cajun seasoning, jerk seasoning and Suya seasoning on different occasions to make these air fryer little potatoes.
If you love cheesy potatoes, you can also sprinkle on some Parmesan cheese in the last minute or two of cooking time. If you do want to add some cheese in here, be sure to cut the potatoes in half before cooking instead of cooking them whole.
How to serve air fried baby potatoes.
Air fryer Mini potatoes are versatile and can be served with meats and or vegetables. They can also be eaten as is or with your favorite dipping sauce. Here are some of the side we serve with baby potatoes.
Best tips for air fryer baby potatoes
- Cutting potatoes in half will help the baby potatoes cook even faster usually in 15 to 18 minutes. Cooking them whole can take up to 25 mins depending on the type of mini potatoes
- Quantity of salt will vary for cut or whole potatoes. The whole baby potatoes will need less salt due having a less surface area so the salt stays on the peel.
- Do not overcrowd the basket. Cook in batches if needed.
- Different species of baby potatoes cook differently. Waxy baby potatoes like red baby potatoes will take a couple of minutes longer to cook than the yellow mini potatoes.
Do I have to cut mini potatoes or cook them whole?
You don’t have to cut them in half before cooking them in the air fryer. However cutting them will shorten cooking time.
Why are baby potatoes more expensive?
Due to their size and how they are cultivated, baby potatoes are usually more expensive per pound when compared to other regular potatoes.
Can you microwave baby potatoes?
Yes you can. Place baby potatoes in a microwave safe bowl, add enough water to cover the mini potatoes. Microwave on high for 5 mins.
Air fryer baby potatoes (mini potatoes)
- 1.5 lbs Baby potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teasspoon italian seasoning
Prepare the baby potatoes
- Wash potatoes thoroughly. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the potatoes that are bigger into smaller sizes.
Season the Potatoes
- Transfer potatoes to a clean bowl. Add oil to potatoes
- Mix the potato seasoning, add the blend to the potatoes. Mix till well combined
- Transfer seasoned potatoes to air fryer basket or tray (if using the air fryer oven) see notes
- Set temp to 400°F / 200°C and cook for 15 to 20 mins
- Red baby potatoes will cook longer than 15 mins
Nutritional information is an estimate and may change based on products used. Please read full nutrition disclaimer here.