Air fryer beets! An easy and nutritious root vegetable that makes for a great side dish, snack or salad topping! With just a few ingredients and less than 20 mins you’ll have these ready to serve with your favorite dish.
If you’ve ever wondered how to make beets in the air fryer, read along find out how to in easy steps.
Table of Contents
- 1 Easy Air fryer beets Recipe
- 2 Why roast beets in the air fryer?
- 3 Join our Air fryer recipes group on Facebook!
- 4 Ingredients (with Substitutions)
- 5 How long to cook beets in the air fryer
- 6 How to cut beets
- 7 How to make air fryer beets
- 8 How to cook whole beets in the air fryer
- 9 What to serve with air fried beets
- 10 How to store and reheat
- 11 Air frying Tips
- 12 FAQs
- 13 More air fryer recipes
- 14 Air fryer beets
Easy Air fryer beets Recipe
Beets are a healthy root vegetable to include in your diet. It’s a great combination with other root vegetables like carrots, parsnips or sweet potatoes. Talk about eating the rainbow.
Air fryer beets budget friendly and can be roasted just like potatoes to enhance it’s nice earthy and sweet flavor.
If you are trying beets for the first time one of the best ways to cook it is by roasting it in the air fryer or oven. Just cut it up the raw beets, toss in oil, season with salt and pepper and air fry to perfection. It’s that easy and honestly tastes so good.
Related: Air fryer Vegetarian recipes, air fryer vegetables, Air fryer sweet potato cubes, Air fryer red potatoes.
Why roast beets in the air fryer?
- It’s easier and faster to roast beets in the air fryer than in the oven. Air fried beets would be getting ready to served while the oven is still preheating.
- Using the air fryer saves you some electricity bills because it will cook in less time than it takes to roast in the oven.
- No need to heat up your kitchen for a meal especially during the summer.
- Roasting delivers better flavor than boiling.
Join our Air fryer recipes group on Facebook!
Ingredients (with Substitutions)
- Fresh Beets: I used red beets to make this recipe because that’s the most popular beets in the grocery stores around me. However if you are able to get the golden beets, white beets or the beets with red and white stripes, feel free to use those.
- Black pepper
Tools used for this recipe
The links below may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and affiliate to other merchants, this website may earn from qualifying purchases. Please read full disclosure here
- This recipe was made using the Cosori air fryer. I like that it comes in 3 colors, Black, Red and White (my favorite)
- Sharp Knife
- Vegetable peeler
- Chopping board
- Mixing bowl
- Perforated Parchment paper or perforated silicon Mat (optional)
- Silicon spatula
- Heat resistant mat for your counter top
- Meal prep bowls for storage and easy reheating
How long to cook beets in the air fryer
The length of time it will take to roast beets in the air fryer will depend on if it’s cut up or cooked whole. It will also depend on the air fryer used.
The size of the cubes will determine how fast it will cook. Beets that are 1 inch to 2 inch cubes will cook in about 12 to 15 mins, while wedges or larger chunks will cook in 15 to 18 mins.
Whole beets will cook in 25 to 30 mins. Whichever size you are cooking the most important thing is to make sure you cook till it’s fork tender. If yours isn’t fork tender yet not to worry just cook for a couple more minutes.
How to cut beets
To cut beets, start by rinsing the beets under cold water to remove any dirt or debris. Cut off the tails Then, use a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife to remove the skin from the beets.
Once the skin is removed, you can slice the beets into thin rounds or cubes, depending on your preference. To slice into cubes, cut in half, then in ½ inch thick slices then cut horizontally and vertically to get the cubes.
To cut them into wedges, slice them into quarters or eighths, depending on the size of the beet. Alternatively, you can shred the beets using a grater or a food processor fitted with a shredding blade to use in salads.
How to make air fryer beets
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Scroll down to the end of this post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
Wash, peel and cut the beets into 1 inch cubes, or wedges. Toss in oil, then add salt and black pepper. Mix till all the beets are well coated.
Transfer seasoned beets to air fryer basket and air fry at 400°F / 200°C for 12 to 15 mins depending on the sizes of the beets. Cook for longer if needed until fork tender.
How to cook whole beets in the air fryer
Wash and peel the beets. Toss in oil and season. Place whole beets in the air fryer (you can wrap in foil if you prefer) then roast in the air fryer for up to 30 mins or until fork tender.
What to serve with air fried beets
Beets can be served like potatoes, as a side dish with chicken, steak and burgers. Beets make for a great salad topping. Some times we can snack on beets especially when they are made into chips.
How to store and reheat
Air fried beets can keep keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Let the beets cook completely then transfer to a clean and dry air tight container for storage in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat: Pop into the microwave and reheat on high at 20 mins intervals until warmed through.
Air frying Tips
- No need to preheat the air fryer
- Red beets tend to stain anything they come in contact with though it washes off, you want to wear gloves and protect your surfaces with parchment paper.
- Cut the beets into equal sizes so that they cook evenly.
Here you’ll find answers to common questions about this recipe. If your question isn’t answered, please leave us a comment below and we’ll gladly answer them.
Yes you can use canned beets for this recipe. Here’s how. Drain the beets, pat dry with paper towels then season and air fry till cooked through.
The length of time it takes to cook raw beets will depend on the size and the method of cooking. In the air fryer it takes an average of 15 to 18 mins for wedges and up to 30 mins for whole beets. It would take up to 60 mins in the oven depending on the size. Boiled beets take 45 mins to an hour.
No you do not need to peel beets before roasting. Like potatoes, beet skins are edible. People peel beets as a matter of preference.
Yes you can cook raw beets in the air fryer. In fact the air fryer is one of the best ways to cook beets.
If you try this recipe, show it off on Instagram! Be sure to Follow and Tag @Airfryeryumblog on Instagram and use the hashtag #airfryeryumblog so we can see your recreations!
More air fryer recipes
- Air fryer tri color potatoes
- Air fryer mini hasselback potatoes
- Air fryer potatoes and onions
- Air fryer baby potatoes
- Air fryer rainbow carrots
- How to mark Christmas potatoes in air fryer
Check out all our >>>Air fryer Recipes!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it! Then follow Air Fryer Yum on Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro Tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Air fryer beets
- 1.2 lbs Beets (Cut into 1 to 2 inch cubes)
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Prepare the raw beets
- Wash beets thoroughly. Pat dry with paper towels and peel with a vegetable peeler or knife
- Cut the beets into small cubes
Season the Beets
- Transfer beets to a clean bowl, Add oil salt and black pepper. Toss to combine ensuring all the beet cubes are well coated
- Transfer seasoned beets to air fryer basket or tray (if using the air fryer oven) see notes
- Set temp to 400°F / 200°C and cook for 12 to 15 mins or until they are fork tender. (The length of time will depend on the size of the beets)
- Remember to shake the basket or flip the beets halfway through cooking time to ensure even cooking.
- No preheat needed.
- The size of the cubes will determine how fast it will cook. Beets that are 1 inch to 2 inch cubes will cook in about 15 mins, while wedges or larger chunks will cook in 15 to 18 mins. Whole beets will cook in 25 to 30 mins. Whichever size you are cooking the most important thing is to make sure you cook till the beets are fork tender.
- Red beets tend to stain, you can protect your hands with gloves and the chopping board with parchment paper
Did you make this air fryer recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment below. If you loved it please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in you favorite Facebook group.
Share your thoughts!