Looking for a quick and healthy chicken recipe for dinner? Try making these air fryer chicken bites! These bite-sized chicken pieces are juicy, tender and so delicious. We love that it’s ready in less than 15 mins and requires few ingredients and minimal prep.
No messy oil from deep frying and fewer calories. This is the chicken nuggets recipe with no breading you’ve been looking for and if this recipe sounds good to you, read along and find out how to make it in easy steps.
Table of Contents
Air fryer chicken bites Recipe
Air fryer chicken bites are packed full of flavor, the kind of dish that makes you feel good while serving it to your family because you know it healthy and they’ll love it!
These boneless chicken cubes have no breading and with just a few simple ingredients and a trusty air fryer, you can have crispy, juicy chicken nuggets to be served with your favorite dipping sauce or sides!
You can adapt this recipe to your taste by trying out different coatings and seasonings like these air fryer cajun chicken drumsticks to find your perfect flavor. Seeing that you love bite sized foods, you should try our delicious air fryer salmon bites those are seriously so good.
Why this recipe is so good
- Air fryer chicken bites are a great way to satisfy your craving for fried chicken without the guilt. Tasty crispy fried chicken with no breading.
- These chicken chunks are quick easy to make, making them a perfect weeknight dinner recipe that can be paired with salads or all types of fries
- Chicken bites are versatile and can be served with a variety of sides and dipping sauces.
- They can be served as a side dish, snack or appetizer and are a hit with both kids and adults alike.
- Air fryer chicken is perfect for meal prepping and can be stored in the fridge or freezer for later.
- Chicken breasts or thighs cut into bite size chunks
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- Sriracha: This is optional but recommended if you want to make spicy chicken bites.
How long to cook chicken bites in the air fryer
It usually takes 10 to 12 mins to cook chicken bites in the air fryer at 400°F (200°C) Always ensure that the chicken is fully cooked by checking for doneness with an meat thermometer.
It should reach 165°F (74°C) to be considered fully cooked and safe to eat. If you don’t have one yet, cut into one of the larger pieces to ensure the chicken is cooked through. Feel free to add more time as needed.
How to make it
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Scroll down to end of post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
Pat chicken dry and cut into bite sized chunks about 2 inches in size. Transfer to a clean bowl. Add oil and seasoning. Toss to coat. Ensure all sides are coated evenly.
Place the boneless chicken chunks in the air fryer basket or tray and air fry at 400°F (200°C) and cook for 10 to 12 mins flipping half way through. Check for doneness with a meat thermometer and add more time if needed.
What to serve with air fried chicken bites
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, such as honey mustard, BBQ sauce, or ranch. Air fryer chicken bites can serve as a fun appetizer at your next party, with a variety of dipping sauces and sides.
- Pair with a side of roasted vegetables or a simple salad for a complete meal. This is how we usually serve it.
- Make it into a sandwich by placing the chicken bites on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and mayo.
- Use the chicken bites as a topping for a homemade pizza or in a wrap with lettuce and cheese.
- Potatoes are great with chicken bites. You can choose from baked potatoes, baby potatoes, potatoes and onions, rainbow potatoes, air frozen crinkle fries, curly fries, waffle fries and lots more. Your options are endless.
How to store and reheat
These are super easy to store and reheat. Here’s how we do it. First let the air fried chicken bites cool completely then place them in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
If you need to store them for a longer time, you can freeze them by placing them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freezing for a few hours. Once frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months.
You can reheat these in the air fryer microwave or oven. If using an air fryer, reheat at 400°F (200°C) for for 3-4 minutes, or until heated through. If using an oven, preheat it to 375°F (190°C) and place the chicken bites on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until heated through.
To reheat in the microwave just place bites in a paper towel lined microwave safe plate and microwave at 1 minute intervals till heated through.
Air frying Tips
- No need to preheat, cut the chicken into uniform bite-sized pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Pat the chicken dry before seasoning.
- Do not overcrowd the basket. Make sure to leave enough space between the chicken pieces in the air fryer basket to allow for proper air circulation and even cooking.
- Flip the chicken bites halfway through cooking so both sides of the chicken gets equal bites.
- Check for doneness by cutting into one of the larger pieces to ensure the chicken is cooked through. If not, continue cooking for an additional minute or two until it is fully cooked.
- Experiment with different seasonings to find your perfect flavor combination.
Here you’ll find answers to common questions about this recipe. If your question isn’t answered, please leave us a comment below and we’ll gladly answer them.
Yes, you can use boneless chicken thighs or breasts in this recipe. Just be sure to cut them into bite-sized pieces and adjust the cooking time as needed. If using chicken breasts, start checking for doneness at 10 mins.
There are many dipping sauces that go well with air fryer chicken bites, such as honey mustard, BBQ sauce, ranch, or even hot sauce.
Definitely, feel free to experiment with different seasoning blends to find your favorite flavor combination. You can use anything from simple salt and pepper to a more complex spice blend.
Yes you can. Simply prepare the chicken bites as directed in this recipe, and then store them in the fridge for up to 24 hrs until you are ready to cook them. They will be marinated and even tastier. Alternatively they can be stored in the fridge or freezer once cooked for up to 4 days.
If you try this recipe, show it off on Instagram! Be sure to Follow and Tag @Airfryeryumblog on Instagram and use the hashtag #airfryeryumblog so we can see your recreations!
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it! Then follow Air Fryer Yum on Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Tools use for this recipe
- This recipe was made using the Cosori air fryer. I like that it comes in 3 colors, Black, Red and White (my favorite)
- Mixing bowl
- Perforated Parchment paper or perforated silicon Mat (optional)
- Kitchen tongs (optional)
- Heat resistant mat for your counter top
- Meal prep bowls for storage and easy reheating
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro Tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Air fryer chicken bites
- 1.5 Pounds Boneless skinless chicken thighs (or boneless chicken breasts)
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha (optional)
- Pat chicken dry, cut into bite sized chunks and transfer to a clean mixing bowl.
- Add oil, seasoning blend (and sriracha if using) to the chicken, toss to coat. Ensure all the chicken pieces are coated evenly.
- Place seasoned chicken bites in air fryer basket and air fry at 400°F / 200°C for 10 to 12 mins flipping half way through.
- Check for doneness with a meat thermometer (165°F / 74°C) and add more time if needed.
- Serve with your favorite side dish. (Kindly refer to blog post for serving suggestions)
- No need to preheat the air fryer.
- Cold chicken is easier to cut as it is less slippery. Putting the chicken in the freezer for a few minutes will make easier to cut.
- Cut the chicken into equal sizes about 2 inches
- Do not overcrowd the basket, cook in batches if needed.
Did you make this air fryer recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment below. If you loved it please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in you favorite Facebook group.