Looking for a quick and easy chicken recipe for dinner? These juicy air fryer marinated chicken drumsticks are top on the list. Super delicious marinated chicken legs that are packed full of flavor and require minimal effort to make.
The chicken drumsticks marinade used in this recipe is the star! It seasons the chicken to perfection making it juicy, tender and oh so delicious.
Chicken is on a frequent meal time rotation here at Air fryer yum and with a variety of chicken recipes to choose from, dinner time is never boring.
Table of Contents
- 1 Marinated chicken drumsticks recipe
- 2 Why we think you’ll love this recipe
- 3 Ingredients (with Substitutions)
- 4 The chicken drumsticks marinade
- 5 How long to cook marinated chicken legs in air fryer
- 6 How to make marinated chicken drumsticks
- 7 What to serve with drumsticks
- 8 How to store and reheat
- 9 Air frying Tips
- 10 FAQs
- 11 More air fryer recipes
- 12 Air fryer marinated chicken drumsticks
Marinated chicken drumsticks recipe
We love to use drumsticks in our recipes because it stays juicy and moist no dry chicken here. This air fryer marinated chicken legs are no different. The marinade definitely takes it up a notch with the flavor and tender texture it lends to this recipe.
You don’t even need to marinate for 24 hours to enjoy the effect on these chicken legs. Juicy, tender and delicious is what you’ll get. This is a great baked chicken recipe to take along to a party or potluck.
Why we think you’ll love this recipe
- Easy and beginner friendly
- The marinade takes this recipe up a notch simple but delicious.
- Family friendly and picky eater approved with many options to serve it with. You’ll find some of these amazing sides further down the page.
- Low carb without compromising on flavor.
Ingredients (with Substitutions)
- Chicken drumsticks
- Italian seasoning (substitute with oregano)
- Garlic powder: these can be substituted with fresh garlic. (If you love all the goodness of garlic, this garlic shot is an amazing immune booster).
- Chicken bouillon powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Lemon juice (optional)
The chicken drumsticks marinade
This marinade is simply a mix of oil, spices and herbs listed above, the chicken is then tossed in the marinade till well coated. You can use a variety of seasoning blends to make your marinade.
For example, I used lemon pepper to make the marinade used in my Air fryer lemon pepper chicken thighs recipe. You can use Cajun seasoning as well which is the marinade used in this air fryer Cajun chicken drumsticks. Feel free to experiment with your favorite spice blends
How long to cook marinated chicken legs in air fryer
It usually takes 25 to 30 mins to cook drumsticks in an air fryer depending on the size of the chicken legs. This recipe was cooked in 25 mins in a non preheated air fryer.
The important thing when cooking meats in the air fryer is the internal temperature. For chicken it should be at least 165°F (74°C). If the internal temperature hasn’t gotten to 165°F (74°C) yet, it’s ok to add more time. Add 2 mins more and repeat till it’s fully cooked.
How to make marinated chicken drumsticks
This is an overview of the recipe with step by step photos. Scroll down to the end of this post for a printable recipe card with the amount of ingredients and full recipe instructions.
Air fryer instructions
Pat chicken dry then add the oil and spice blend. Toss till well coated, then cover with cling film and let it marinate for 30 mins to up to overnight.
When marinating time is over, place marinated chicken in the air fryer basket and bake at 400°F / 200°C for 25 to 30 mins or until internal temperature reads 165°F / 74°C
Preheat air fryer to 400°F / 200°C / Gas mark 6.
Place chicken on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 mins or until cooked through and internal temperature reads 165°F / 74°C. Remember to flip chicken half way through cooking time.
What to serve with drumsticks
There see a variety of sides or main courses to serve with chicken drumsticks. Some of our favorites are below.
While there are a variety of sides to serve with this recipe, we tend to forget drinks and Piña colada, Pomegranate lemonade and Chapman drink are top on my list! You should give them a try when next you make this recipe.
How to store and reheat
Store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. These can also be made up to 3 days ahead.
These can be reheated in the microwave or air fryer. Microwave on high at 1 min intervals till warmed through. Reheat at 350°F / 177°C for 5 to 8 mins or until it’s warmed through.
Air frying Tips
- No need to preheat the air fryer.
- Do not overcrowd the basket to ensure proper air flow and even cooking
- Remember to flip the chicken half way through cooking time
- A meat thermometer is vert important when cooking meats in the air fryer. The internal temperature should be at-least 165°F / 74°C
Here you’ll find answers to common questions about this recipe. If your question isn’t answered, please leave us a comment below and we’ll gladly answer them.
Cajun chicken simply means chicken that has been marinated in a cajun spice blend based marinade.
Yes you can put raw chicken and cook it to perfection in the air fryer.
Depending on your chosen method of cooking and size of the chicken. Chicken drumsticks take about 25 to 30 mins to cook in the air fryer and up to 50 mins in the oven. The internal temperature of fully cooked chicken that’s safe to eat is 165°F / 74°C
Yes you can season the chicken and freeze it in the marinade till you are ready to cook it.
Boiling, Brining and marinating chicken is a great way to infuse flavors into chicken. The length of time it sits in the marinade will determine the amount of flavor the chicken will get.
If you want a well seasoned chicken and don’t want to go the boiling route then I would recommend you marinate chicken for a minimum of 2 hours to a max of 48 hours.If you are in a hurry you can marinate for only 30 mins. It’s important to note that it the longer you marinade the tastier the chicken.
If you try this recipe, show it off on Instagram! Be sure to Follow and Tag @Airfryeryumblog on Instagram and use the hashtag #airfryeryumblog so we can see your recreations!
Tools used for this recipe
- This recipe was made using the Cosori air fryer. I like that it comes in 3 colors, Black, Red and White (my favorite)
- Mixing bowl
- Perforated Parchment paper or perforated silicon Mat (optional)
- Kitchen tongs (optional)
- Digital instant read Meat thermometer
- Heat resistant mat for your counter top
- Meal prep bowls for storage and easy reheating
Did you find this recipe helpful? Leave me a comment about it or any recipe idea you would love Air fryer ‘yummed’ and don’t forget to share with family and friends.
Happy Air frying!
Love it? Pin it! Then follow Air Fryer Yum on Pinterest for more deliciousness!
Looking for more air fryer recipes? Sign up for our yummy newsletter and Follow along on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Tiktok for updates. Remember to Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for weekly videos.
Loving your air fryer much? Join other Air Fryer Buddies in our exclusive free Easy Air Fryer Recipes Group on Facebook!
New to the world of Air frying? We’ve got you covered. Check out our helpful >>> Air fryer Resources!
Shop all air fryers and air fryer accessories at our Amazon store.
Air Fryer Yum’s Pro Tip! Air fryer temperatures may vary depending on size, make and model. When making a recipe for the first time, start with less time, check for doneness then add more time as needed.
Air fryer marinated chicken drumsticks
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 ½ tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Chicken bouillon powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
Prepare chicken marinade
- Mix the oil, spices, herbs, chicken bouillon, salt and lemon juice (if using) Then set aside.
Season the chicken
- Pat chicken dry. Pour Marinade over the chicken in a bowl, mix till all the drumsticks are evenly coated in the marinade.
- Cover with cling film, or transfer to ziplock bag then let drumsticks marinate for 2 hours up to 8 hours in the refrigerator. (30 mins is ok if you are in a hurry, however a longer marinating time will yield a tastier result)
- When ready to cook, you can either let the chicken sit on the counter for up to 30 mins to come to room temperature before air frying or you can cook immediately.
- Transfer marinated chicken to air fryer basket or tray, Cook at 400°F / 200°C for 25 to 30 mins flipping half way through cooking time. Smaller drumsticks will cook in less time. The internal temperature should be at least 165°F / 74°C to be considered fully cooked and safe to eat.
- Enjoy as is or serve with your favorite side dish. See blog post for suggestions.
- Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C / Gas Mark 6
- Place chicken on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 mins or until cooked through and internal temperature reads 165°F / 74°C. Remember to flip chicken half way through cooking time.
- The difference in time when cooking the chicken straight out of the refrigerator vs bringing it to room temperature isn’t much. Just about a couple of minutes. Just use a digital meat thermometer to ensure the internal temp is at least 165°F (74°C)
- You can freeze the chicken in the marinade for up to 3 weeks. Let it thaw in the refrigerator before cooking.
Did you make this air fryer recipe? Awesome! Please rate it by clicking the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ when you leave a comment below. If you loved it please share the link to this recipe with family and friends and in you favorite Facebook group.